Thread: 3811 begins her new life

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

All 1955 and 1956 Ford products with an automatic transmission would start only in neutral. I am not sure about the years prior to 1955 but would suspect they were the same. I know starts in park could be done by 1962 but not sure about 1957-1961. Probably changed when the fordomatic transmission was replaced with the cruiseamatic, which I think was first available in 1958.

Why the fordomatic was designed to start only in neutral is something I have never thought about until now.
    Rick Bone

Spike Johnson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickswrecks View Post
    All 1955 and 1956 Ford products with an automatic transmission would start only in neutral. I am not sure about the years prior to 1955 but would suspect they were the same.
    ok 2cents coming here
    My dad bought a new 56 ford station wagon and we had it for 10 years.100,000 miles.
    It started in Park
    In later life the neutral safety switch was worn and it usually had to be started by wiggling the shifter upwards to engage the neutral safety switch-loose / worn I dont know. BUT my dad was a full blown mechanic and never worried about fixing it. I suppose it became a feature after a while.