Thread: Disk brake conversion

Default Disk brake conversion

Will the Ford Granada spindle assembly and disc brakes bolt directly to the Mark II ball joints and steering arms without modification as it does to the early T-Birds?
    David Smart
    C56S3865

My mentor was Axel Holm who was the former president of the LCOC and CEO of Desert Classics. How he used to do disc brake conversions was use the spindles from a Mark IV. It required several modifications including enlarging the taper for the upper ball joints, then drilling the 5x5.5 Ford truck bolt pattern into the existing hub/rotor to keep the bolt pattern original. He also used the booster/MC/proportion valve from the MarkIV to make the brakes work correctly. The reason I say something is I know the Granada spindle is the go-to set up for converting smaller cars to disc brakes but I have no idea if it’s the same part as what you’ll need. Sounds like it, but I am unsure.
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157

Personally, until I drove a Mark II with proper brakes I wouldn't even consider putting lightweight Grenada or Mustang anything on my car without some actual engineering. There doesn't appear to be any, recognized by anyone. "Just because the parts fit" is not engineering.

Edit: It is my opinion that we shouldn’t be discussing disc brake conversions due to the potential liability exposure to the Forum’s owner and operators. Again, that is my opinion.
    Last edited by Barry Wolk; 10-10-2021 at 09:37 AM.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    Personally, until I drove a Mark II with proper brakes I wouldn't even consider putting lightweight Grenada or Mustang anything on my car without some actual engineering. There doesn't appear to be any, recognized by anyone. "Just because the parts fit" is not engineering.

Edit: It is my opinion that we shouldn’t be discussing disc brake conversions due to the potential liability exposure to the Forum’s owner and operators. Again, that is my opinion.

To clarify to the best of my knowledge, One of the ASE certifications I have is in medium/heavy truck brakes along with I am a registered brake inspector in the state of Arizona because of 2 reasons: I have been in the field over a year, and I perform DOT inspections and certifications for my fleet.

All this being said, the legalities of the discussion and advice concerning brakes will not affect any forum members if they did not render services for money in exchange for providing a service that failed because of improper assembly techniques. Long story short, if I didn’t touch your car with a record of payment from a customer or I did not render a legitimate service ticket, there are no legal grounds for a lawsuit. This is why you can buy brake parts from Autozone
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157

We are actually protected under section 230c-2. You can thank my wife, Sarah for looking it up.
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157