Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hubcaps, wheels, and tires

I consider this a very important subject as I let Barry answer because he knows best on how not to lose one of these valuable wheel covers. As you may know, a driver quality wheel cover starts at $500 and will often fetch prices of $1000 each in some cases. They are NOT being reproduced for various reasons and is an off the table subject with everyone I know of with the means to do so. These wheel covers can and will do serious damage when they fly off. A few owners who have passed told me stories of detached wheel covers actually going through the windshield of passing by cars they hit.
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157

Okay, so your #3 question about radios is off topic with the subject of wheel covers but I feel is definitely another good question to answer so I will start off by asking this question of you. What is the intended purpose of your car? How correct looking do you want it to be? Personally, AM radio is dead. FM radio is dying a slow death. I am one of those people born at the end of Generation X so I cherry pick what I want for myself concerning technology. I listen strictly to Pandora or YouTube and I am going to tell you a very personal factoid about myself. I am a metal head. They dont play loud fast metal bands like Meshuggah on the radio. Yes, I am an animal for owning a Mark II but I still fit the bill because Im an interesting person. Knowing all that, here is what I intend to do concerning that. I plan on keeping my old, long dead AM radio in the dash where it belongs. I am removing my antenna assembly, sending it to Pat Marshall. I plan on taking our boom box which we use on the boat and just using it there so I dont have to modify my interior to accept speakers. Really, it all depends on what your car is and what the intended use will be.
    Last edited by Milsteads Garage; 10-07-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157

Thanks Morgan for your thoughts. After many hours of diagnoses and cannibalizing parts off of two purchased Premier radios, my original radio is working. Burnt transformers, inoperable vibrators, dimming tubes were the culprits. So what am I left with? A functioning original radio in all its obsolete glory. You are spot on regarding AM/FM. I ordered a replacement radio from a company that 'specializes' in replacement radios for classic cars. NOT! It is state of the art but looks rinky dink in the dash with a piece of black plastic surrounding the face to fit in the Mark II dash. I am not renovating my Mark to exacting original specs but in some cases form takes priority over function. I have had the working original radio reinstalled and am putting a new tuner in the glove box with a remote to select and play my favorite music with superior sound quality. I have several speakers that I will decide whether I install them or not. I will NOT sacrifice side panels or door panels to mount new speakers. They will either have to be hidden under the dash or they won't be used.
    Gary Rieves Peterson
    C56F3051

Good Day Mr Wolk, I am in the process of purchasing new tires. Can you give me your place of choice other than Coker tires.
    John Bryant

Diamondback Auburn radials. They look just like bias ply. You should put them on new wheels with a 3 5/8"backset instead of 4". That moves the tire 3/8" outboard eliminating the upper ball joint clearance problem.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Hit the url below for their catalogue, see page 4.

https://www.northhantstyres.com/pdf-...amond-back.pdf
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb View Post
    Good Day Mr Wolk, I am in the process of purchasing new tires. Can you give me your place of choice other than Coker tires.
    You should order 15" wheels with a 5.5" bolt pattern wheel with 5 studs. It should be a 6" wheel. It should be ordered with a 3 5/8" backset. The new steel wheels are a heavier gauge which eliminates the bias-ply wheel flex that makes you lose wheel covers. Buy 5 2" all metal stems. No rubber, but the seals. Slip a piece of rubber fuel line over the metal stem. The rubber will protect the stem from the rotating wheel cover. When they stop rotating the tangs of the wheel cover dig in and stop the rotation and noise.

If you love driving your Mark II make it a real pleasure to drive with all new, rebuilt, suspension parts to go with your tires. These cars suffer badly from cumulative suspension wear. Even individual parts within specs have some wear. You can even have your parts rebuilt. I am very impressed with the result of installing all new wear parts and bushings.

The last Mark II I did the suspension on got plastic-filled tie rod ends and upper and lower ball joints available from one of the regular suppliers. They dismantle the tie rod ends and ball joints and discard the inner spring and ball seat. The void left by those discarded parts is filled with a hardening plastic that forms a new, no need to lubricate, socket around the original ball and stud. As received they are very difficult to change the angle on, but a right-sized length of pipe allows for movement that gets the tapered parts into the tapered sockets. Everything moves freely with the tires off the ground. Does anyone have long-term experience with this method?
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126