Thread: Please try and talk me out of using a spray ceramic/wax

Default Please try and talk me out of using a spray ceramic/wax

On Sunday I showed my 1933 Continental Flyer, painted sometime in the '60s. I was just going to show it as a survivor, but had been reading about ceramic coatings.

I stopped at the Pep Boys and grabbed a spray bottle of a combination wax/ceramic from Mcquire's that worked wonders on the paint. It looks refreshed, newly-painted.

3E27F1C4-970A-4622-A822-31EEF15E2982_1_105_c.jpg

I used it again on my wife's '97 Z3 and didn't notice as much on the silver paint, but the product darkened the black parts nicely.

Talk me out of using it on my Mark II, before I do!

319B72AA-2AB2-4DDD-B4FD-66E7CD0BE9A3_1_105_c.jpg
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

If the car is prepped correctly, a ceramic coating will look great and protect the paint for a long time. I was at a national car show about 6 years ago and watched a professional detailing team do an amazing job of paint correction followed by ceramic coating. The cars looked fantastic. I made a deal with the detailers to do a paint correction and ceramic coating on my 2010 Phantom drophead. The key according to the head detailer was to get the paint correction perfect so that there are no scratches or swirls. He was so confident in his work he told me he would take $100 of the job for every swirl I could find when the job was done. I thought to myself, he doesn't know how anal I am; he is going to end up owing me money. The Phantom is a big car, 221" long and 78" wide.

I ended up paying him the full amount. A ceramic treatment will usually last 2-5 years depending on the car's environment, use, etc. I am in the 6th year, bugs and tar come off easily, water still beads well off the paint and the car still looks fantastic. Of course, if I had done it myself, I doubt that I could do the same quality of work with so little experience.

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Bentley GTC
    2015 Lincoln MKT

I highly advise against NOT using ceramic spray wax. Like you, I was highly skeptical but ceramic waxes do work well. It easily penetrates into the paint and lasts a few months in the Arizona sun. I use this stuff on my Indian, Ram truck and my Maxum boat and the boat honestly surprised me because it always seems to look chalky and oxidized until I used Mother’s CMX and it made the blue on my boat shiny again. An actual fact is they tout a ceramic coating as paint correction and I believe that to be true. People make all kinds of weird stuff nowadays but some of it actually works pretty good.
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157