Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead engine revival techniques

Gummy fuel system problems/varnished fuel: First, drain the tank using a siphon pump or do it the old Cheech and Chong way by siphoning with your mouth and a garden hose. (Varnished fuel is the worst to swallow so if you need to Yak, go Yak) Depending on how long the car has sat with fuel in it, I use this rule of thumb. Under 10 years it should not require dropping the tank. If longer or the car has a freshly rebuilt carburetor, drop the tank and either wash it out using a pressure washer or a car wash wand. No matter what, when you go to fill the car up with fresh gasoline, add 1 gallon of acetone. This will keep any dislodged varnish from re-clogging the carburetor or help immensely. If it does start to run rough, remove the hose at the pump and run the engine off of straight acetone. Most I’ve ever had to do was around 1/2 gallon but it also helps to prime the carburetor with acetone and run it until it picks up fuel from the tank.
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    Hi John, yes, can't hurt, though I will say that I have no valve noise at all, sounds new.... My plan for this week is to remove the Pertronix ignition and go back to the points/condenser that I replaced. Someone on this forum said their Mark II did not run well with the Pertronix, hope mine makes two..
    If anything, replace it with another Pertronix or find the real problem. Pertronix is the best thing to happen to an old car. Did you change the coil and wires or just the Pertronix? I think you're taking two steps back. Kinda like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

I did the Pertronix, coil and wires. In vacuum leak/carb issue/engine issue denial...

Curious, have you opened up your choke housing? Is there black soot in there?
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Yes, and yes, fair amount of soot.... probably rusted out tube that goes through intake... above my pay grade

That's why it's running poorly. There's a passage or a piston in the carb that doesn't like carbon.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Any way to easily bypass or block this off to test the theory?

Take one vertical tube out and start it up. Exhaust will come out the port. That's the only way carbon or soot can get there. It's not a theory.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Morgan:
    Found this video on using starter fluid to find a vacuum leak and using seafoam. Enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/andyslittle...7762735316641/

Also, if your battery is dead, drop it on the ground to knock the plates and then reinstall. You might get two more starts out of it.

If your starter doesn't work, tap it with a hammer to knock the brushes loose. Drive home and install new brushes.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 09-25-2021 at 06:31 AM.
    John Snoddy