Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark II as Investment

Post Mark II as Investment

Other than enjoying the beauty of the car, is there any potential investment return on owning this?

That is, I inherited C5601503 from my father. He restored it beautifully , but it needs some TLC, especially in making it run well.

Is spending thousands of dollars to restore it ever worth it?

I'm not looking to sell it, but do people end up fixing these up only to see it get $45k-$55K? I'm assuming the $100K+ cars probably rarely left a museum; am I wrong?
    Adam Marlin

Default Re: Question response

Do you want to make it a show piece or a sharp looking week end driver? I have a beautiful driver and probably that's what you have judging from the picture you put on the Member Map.. I'm prepared to spend a couple of thousand every few years to keep everything operating and looking nice. It'll never be a $100K plus museum item with everything original or a spot on replacement because I'm not prepared to spend the money to do it and few Buyers are willing to pay over 65K for any Mark II --- so my car remains a great looking, functioning driver. It looks great and every time I'm out for a drive I'll get whistles and horn blasts admiring it.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

Well said Shelly!
    Dominick Toscano
    1957 MKII C56R3772
    1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider
    2006 Mustang convertible,sport pkg & mint
    1973 GMC 2500 crew cab ,retro modded,always needed paint ,my' Max'
    1993 Ducati 904SPS SS, 2nd place show winner
    1978 Tracy 550 Honda ,2nd place show winner

Hi Adam,

I think that Shelly said it well. Also, I imagine that there are few restorations that ever produce a positive return on the dollars and time invested. The major goal of any antique car owner considering restoration is determining what it is that they hope to achieve with the car and that should be a personal decision based upon the amount of funds available, emotional attachment to the car, etc.

Good luck with your decision and I hope that you get to enjoy your inheritance for years to come.
    Brian Mc Evilly
    Former Mark II Owner

For some reason the Mark II has never taken off like others in its class. The 57-58 Eldorado Brougham always comes to mind. The Mark II is the most underrated and misunderstood super car so often ending up thought of as granny's old "Lincoln" sitting out in the back yard. Perhaps that's what has kept it from going to that next level? We all know what the car really is and we can appreciate them knowing the story behind it. Think about it, what other fifties American car can tell such an amazing tale? From initial concept and development to design and production, all the way up to original ownerships. What other car is so well documented as far as those original ownerships too? I admit I am biased to the Mark II (if it isn't obvious) but while the Brougham is spectacular in itself, it doesnt come with the overall package like our cars, fancy perfume and tumblers included! Maybe one day the collector car hobby will catch on to them and we will have some treasures on our hands. Till then we can enjoy our beauties as best as we can.
    Knick Gomez

1956 Mark II C56C2306
    1958 Edsel Villager 9 passenger
    1959 Thunderbird
    1959 Cadillac Series 62
    1952 Cadillac Series 62
    1949 GMC 250 tow truck
    1951 Bentley Mk VI
    2004, 2006 Scion xB

Adam:
    You are in a really good price point to enjoy your car.
    Keep in mind that you most probably have around a $30,000 car (+ or - 10 percent). You might put another $6,000 more in parts to make in run perfectly. Afterwards, you'll still have a $30,000 car.
    This is a hobby; not an investment. I suggest you make it a good solid driver and enjoy it. Just realize you need to love your car more than your bank account.
    Good luck,
    John
    John Snoddy

My best advice is to not keep it because it was your father's, but to keep it because you love the car. Many people get financially burdened because they feel an obligation. If he didn't leave it with strings attached to a big purse you'll kick yourself if the car interferes with your life or your memory of your father. Buy what you want. I did a mechanical restoration on a 22,000 mile car that cost $108,000 to get everything working. Sticker shock, but he loves the car. Also, if you don't have the capability to work on the car yourself they can break you, mentally and physically.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

foxpoint Guest

Default ownre mark 2

I have had my original mark 2 since 1997. It is the finest classic handmade assembled car of the nineteen fifties period. It has never caught on with car collectors but when i take my 1957 mark 2 to local car shows or sometimes a Concours show beleive me the public notices it. I of course am prejudiced but if there is a better original 1957 mark 2 i have not seen one. Paint interior headliner all original This car is not and investment it to me is only a love of art craftsmanship and yes it is not cheap to maintain. What does love of a car cost? If you love it you may not resent putting money into it, If you have and older car that you do not like you may resent putting money into it

Loren Kalin

Thanks for this and the other replies.

Does it cheapen the car to replace some original parts -- such as hoses -- with better working new ones? What kind of parts should I look to keep original and which parts should I not think twice about using the best current replacement?
    Adam Marlin

Buy an Authenticity Manual and follow it for colors on hoses and such. It just as easy to do it right as do it wrong. I'd be replacing hoses, belts and flexible brake lines. What new hoses work better than standard hoses?
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126