Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint Codes

Holger- I am sorry to have misread your response- I now understand you do not have a dealer's book. So we continue the search.

but is anyone has mixing information for any of the original paints- please post them here so we can help others in the future
    Mike Teske
    C56B1984

Default Too good to be true?

In my searching for paint - I came across this for TCP Global Auto Color:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

Then selected 1950-1977 Classic Library

Then selected 1956 and then Lincoln (no better choice available)

and under 1956 Lincoln selected Page 3

which shows the 1956 Continental colors from the 1955 Ditzler Production Color Book

I then called Auto Color at 858-909-2110 and talked to Sonny. He said that they have all the original formulas. I said "Then, you don't need paint samples?" He answered that they don't!

The ball's in your court, Mike!
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Nice job! Woo hoo. Thanks for this info. J
    John Snoddy

Some more interesting information.

https://tcpglobal.com/pages/about-us
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Wow- Great work Pat!!

I called my painter this morning and we will order a quart to do a spay panel for comparison I will share the steps along the way!
    Mike Teske
    C56B1984

OK great news- we evidently have a supplier for original paint!
    TPC global has a listing of Continental colors at this link:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pag...HorizontalTab3

I ordered a quart each of Acrylic Urethane and Acrylic Lacquer to do some sample spray outs. The Lacquer paint was spot on- the Urethane was close but did not show enough metalflake compared to the original (although I will say the color shade was correct).
    There was just a little section of 1791 that had the original paint left and in the attached photo is showing how well the test spray (on top) matches the original part (bottom with holes in it).
    1794 Paint Color 2.jpg
    S[ATTACH=CONFIG]24516[/ATTACH

So...folks - great news! It looks like we now have a source for original paints!!
    Cheers
    Mike Teske
    C56B1984

That's an amazing color match. Thanks for this.
    Very best regards,
    John
    John Snoddy

I’ve been told by many painters that you can never precisely match old colors as the base materials have changed. I’ve never seen an exact match. A paint job never turns out like the original, just like painting a house. Close is all you can hope for.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

The Auto Color Library

TCP Global’s Auto Color Library is the world’s largest online auto paint color reference library in the world. The Auto Color Library Slogan “Where yesterday’s colors come alive today” is true! The library contains the actual automotive paint color standard reference chips for nearly all makes and models since automobiles were made, all the way back to the year 1900 and all the way up to the current automobiles made now in 2021. There are even color references back to the 1880’s, the days of Coach and Carriages. The ACL even contains extremely rare color references for loads of imported cars, makes, and models all the way back to the 1930’s. If you need to restore any vintage or classic vehicle then this is the place to find the original OEM colors, as well as purchase the coating needed to complete your restoration project.

The Room

The Auto Color Library Room at TCP Global’s facility in San Diego, has the world's history of automotive paint color standards very organized, indexed,and archived just like a library or museum would do. The actual room is more like museum that takes you through the history of color along with all the authentic collectibles and nostalgia pieces from within auto paint industry like old original paint cans, Ditzler Mixing Equipment, and Devilbiss Spray Guns from the turn of the century. The vast amount of information within the Auto Color Library is the product over 46 years of collecting color data from sources like Paint Manufacturers (PPG, Dupont, Sherwin-Williams, R-M), current and retired paint sales representatives, travels throughout the U.S, Canada and Europe, as well as scouring for information at auto swap meets. Within the Auto Color Library you can step back in time and see the actual paint color standards way back to when the coating were made in Varnishes, Japan Lacquers and the First Enamels. Some of the oldest paint brands were Murphy Lacquer, Lincoln Lacquer, Dural and Ditzler. Within them you’ll find original colors for such long gone classic cars such as Oakland, Hupmobile, Willys, Hudson, Nash, Packard and Edsel. Just go to autocolorlibrary.com and follow the simple instructions on how to look up any color information you need. On many Makes and Models the interior, stripe, trim and accent color information is available as well.

Jimmy "Chips" Wells

Jim has been involved in the automotive coatings industry since the 1950’s. He was a leading Sales Representative for PPG Ditzler back in the 1960’s and was the owner of several automotive paint supply jobber stores in the 1970’s until the late 1980’s. Jim kept busy in the industry though the 1990’s and has been the curator archiving the Auto Color Library for over 30 years.

Customer Service
    (858) 909-2110
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 01-06-2022 at 06:11 AM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

When it came time to paint my car, I opted for Elizabeth Taylor blue. As the YouTube video suggested, the color was copied and is marketed as a Ford/Lincoln blue diamond metallic. Problem is, there are 4 shades of the same color all influenced by base ingredients as well as sealer color. I chose a slightly lighter blue diamond metallic so it matches my better halves eyes as well. My thoughts on this is I would choose whatever paint color seems right to you because a urethane base/clear or even a single stage is going to look completely different than the original.
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157