Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint Codes

Default Paint Codes

Starting a thread to try and collect information on how to procure the original paint mixes. Seems like many have had problems so if we can collect the information in one place then we can reset the clock on how to procure the correct paint.
    1956 FoMoCoPaintChipsFordCont backside.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    1956 FoMoCoPaintChipsFordCont.jpg
    CONTINENTAL MARK II PAINT CODES & UNITS PRODUCED.jpg

I am having a challenge with the paint code 08 Deep Bronze

the painter (a friend) and I have not been able find a paint mix that matches the unique color

Here are some pictures of 2990 which I think is similar to what original paint is remaining on 1791
    IMG_E2256.jpg
    IMG_E2245.jpg
    IMG_E2247.jpg
    And here is the remaining paint from 1791
    1791.jpg
    DSCN9304.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the correct paint mixed today?

We should add the other paint codes if anyone has information on them

Thanks and cheers

Mike
    gt40guy@hotmail.com
    865-323-6643
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 06-10-2021 at 07:16 AM.
    Mike Teske
    C56B1984

Mike:
    Please help me out here. I am searching for understanding.
    In this day of modern technology, why can't you take a sample, like under the back seat, trunk, or some other hidden place, have it analyzed on the spectrum like they do at Lowes and Home Depot? Help me out here please.
    John Snoddy

We tried that John but the place you get the sample needed to be flat and large enough to let the spectrum analyzer sit flat. The only are we had that was original paint was not large enough or flat enough. Also- the metallic size and content is a not precise with the spectrum analyzer from what they said. So finding the original formula would be best- if at all possible.
    Mike Teske
    C56B1984

Kewl. Totally understand. Thanks.
    Buddy Holiday had a paint page in his book which identified matches circa 1973. You might start by updating his work.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 06-07-2021 at 07:16 AM.
    John Snoddy

The dealers book contains paint samples.

Are they large enough?
    Holger Klausing
    C56B1966
    C56C2503

Holger:
    You are amazing. Do you also have samples of the DSO colors?
    John Snoddy

John,

too much honor, unfortunately I do not have a dealers book but I have a pdf file/photos of the dealers book from the Henry Ford Museum.

Someone will have this book and maybe he will provide us with the paint samples on loan.
    Last edited by Egenolf; 06-07-2021 at 08:37 AM.
    Holger Klausing
    C56B1966
    C56C2503

In the meantime I have called my painter.

In his opinion, the paint samples in the dealers book are large enough but there is another problem:

Each paint manufacturer has its own color system. If you analyze the paint samples with the system of Sikkens, you have to use Sikkens paints to mix the right color.
    Holger Klausing
    C56B1966
    C56C2503

Default There were two Dealer Books! Two sets of paint chips!

There were two dealer books one with the original colors and a later one which included the "1957" paint chips.

I have a 1956 book and it matches the paint samples that Holger posted. I didn't know there was a 1957 book until I visited Rick Schmidt of NPD, Ocala, FL in 2014. I went there to see the Ford brothers' cars which they had restored.

While there, Rick showed me their Dealer Book and I saw that it was different from mine. I didn't know there was a '57 book and Rick and his father, Jim, didn't know there was '56 version of the book.

When Continental closed down they told the employees to take what they wanted because everything was going to be thrown away. An employee rescued the Dealer Book from the library which subsequently ended up in the hands of Rick's father, Jim.

I think I may have a photo of the '57 book's paint chips. If I find it I'll post it.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Holger, I think Sikkens is one of the best companies around these days so that’s a great supplier. Well it seems like if you have all these we should somehow fund you to go get them scanned LOL it would be a great service for everyone but I don’t want to intrude. But can you think of any other options?
    Mike Teske
    C56B1984