Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reassembling #3610

Hi Holger - may I ask ...how do you post these full size pictures? I only get smaller pics when I post them.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Mark,

of course you can ask.

I am using an external image service provider (www.picr.de).

Mostly, I post the important pictures with the forum software too, so that the pictures are not lost, when the external provider is no longer working.
    Holger Klausing
    C56B1966
    C56C2503

I agree, great pictures. Thank you Holger!
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Default Trunk Hinge Assembly Question

Another question - I am putting the trunk lid back on the car. To do that I have to install the trunk hinge assemblies and the torsion bars. Attached is a picture of the plate that holds the hinge arms and the torsion bars. Each torsion bar is inserted into a sleeve (circled in blue). My question is, is that sleeve threaded onto the plate?

It looks to me that the sleeve has to be removed before the assembly can be slide in between the the brackets and the wheel house for mounting. Once in place the sleeve can be mounted on the plate and the torsion bar then inserted into the sleeve.

Before I start wrenching on this part, I thought I'd ask if I'm on the right track or if I've got this all wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 05-25-2021 at 12:49 AM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

I'm not sure why you could be struggling. I took mine apart and put it back together with the sleeve in place. The arms and links and pins were assembled as well.
    Knick Gomez

1956 Mark II C56C2306
    1958 Edsel Villager 9 passenger
    1959 Thunderbird
    1959 Cadillac Series 62
    1952 Cadillac Series 62
    1949 GMC 250 tow truck
    1951 Bentley Mk VI
    2004, 2006 Scion xB

Thanks, for your response Knick!

I will send pictures later today and you can show me the error of my ways.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

I figured out the error of my ways I had been trying to put the hinge assembly in on the passenger side and it wouldn?t go.

So I tried the other assembly on the driver side and with some maneuvering it went in.

I then went back to the passenger side and it still wouldn?t go into place. Then on close examination I saw the the bracket was slightly bent. So with a little bubba love I got it straight. And viola! The assembly slid into place.

Thanks for your help.

Oh that's great! Glad to hear. What notch did you put your torsion bars on? I mistakenly set mine on the high one and when I actuated the trunk, that's how one snapped. In looking at the overspray on the original paint I saw it was originally set on the lower notch I dont know how I missed it. It might have already been weak anyway. That's what led me to look for another set and how I found out about the bronze vs steel hinge arms.
    Knick Gomez

1956 Mark II C56C2306
    1958 Edsel Villager 9 passenger
    1959 Thunderbird
    1959 Cadillac Series 62
    1952 Cadillac Series 62
    1949 GMC 250 tow truck
    1951 Bentley Mk VI
    2004, 2006 Scion xB

I set the torsion bar in the lowest position (because of your experience).

However, the hinge assembly has a lot of lateral looseness (all the nuts and bolds are tightened down) which can't be right. I may have to add more washers to tighten things up.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Default Aha! The answer!

The reason that the hinge assembly was loose is that there are two connecting plates (I don't know what else to call them) used in the hinge assembly. I only thought there was one. When I took a plate off my other hinge assembly and put it on, the assembly completely tightened up.

The attached picture shows a hinge assembly with both connecting plates - I didn't see the 2nd one before.

The only problem is, is that in order to mount the trunk lid, I have to come up with another connecting plate. A machine shop is making one for me, and I'll have it next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 05-29-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH