Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reassembling #3610

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

These look like the pieces that go across the window trim pieces where they meet and cover the space where they join together

There is another one like this that covers the screw that holds the side view mirror in place.

The picture of the brackets that go under the dash...The 2 on the right with the oval holes are the ones that go on each side of the glove box and those slots are where the glove box brackets go through these brackets.

I believe you will be able to figure where the other brackets go by trying to put them in the places where a bracket goes. Each bracket is different so only one will fit properly as you try each one..

If you need more help with this, I can try to take some pictures because I currently have my glove box removed as well as the other under dash panels.
    Jack Bowser
    C56B2198
    Past Ownership 1991, 3206, and 1763
    2006 Ford GT
    2006 Cadillac XLR-V
    427 Cobra
    2012 Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster
    1924 Dodge Brothers Rat Rod
    Lots of Bowser gas Pumps

I figured out the error of my ways I had been trying to put the hinge assembly in on the passenger side and it wouldn?t go.

So I tried the other assembly on the driver side and with some maneuvering it went in.

I then went back to the passenger side and it still wouldn?t go into place. Then on close examination I saw the the bracket was slightly bent. So with a little bubba love I got it straight. And viola! The assembly slid into place.

Thanks for your help.

Oh that's great! Glad to hear. What notch did you put your torsion bars on? I mistakenly set mine on the high one and when I actuated the trunk, that's how one snapped. In looking at the overspray on the original paint I saw it was originally set on the lower notch I dont know how I missed it. It might have already been weak anyway. That's what led me to look for another set and how I found out about the bronze vs steel hinge arms.
    Knick Gomez

1956 Mark II C56C2306
    1958 Edsel Villager 9 passenger
    1959 Thunderbird
    1959 Cadillac Series 62
    1952 Cadillac Series 62
    1949 GMC 250 tow truck
    1951 Bentley Mk VI
    2004, 2006 Scion xB

I set the torsion bar in the lowest position (because of your experience).

However, the hinge assembly has a lot of lateral looseness (all the nuts and bolds are tightened down) which can't be right. I may have to add more washers to tighten things up.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Default Aha! The answer!

The reason that the hinge assembly was loose is that there are two connecting plates (I don't know what else to call them) used in the hinge assembly. I only thought there was one. When I took a plate off my other hinge assembly and put it on, the assembly completely tightened up.

The attached picture shows a hinge assembly with both connecting plates - I didn't see the 2nd one before.

The only problem is, is that in order to mount the trunk lid, I have to come up with another connecting plate. A machine shop is making one for me, and I'll have it next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 05-29-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Glad you got it! I wasn't able to find the same size washers. Either the outside diameter is not correct or the hole is too big. I haven't looked beyond my Ace Hardware store though. The thing that started my trunk debacle was that one of the cotter pins sheared off and the pin that goes through the connecting plates worked its way out bringing the trunk lid slamming down. Make sure and use steel cotter pins since the softer aluminum ones might get sheared in the same manner by the washer.
    Knick Gomez

1956 Mark II C56C2306
    1958 Edsel Villager 9 passenger
    1959 Thunderbird
    1959 Cadillac Series 62
    1952 Cadillac Series 62
    1949 GMC 250 tow truck
    1951 Bentley Mk VI
    2004, 2006 Scion xB