Thread: 1956 Mark 2 transmission question

Default 1956 Mark 2 transmission question

Can anyone confirm that there are 2 bolts located in the converter housing that connect the gear box to the housing that can only be accessed buy pulling splitting the engine and transmission?
    1956 Mark 2

thanks in advance

No, I don't think so. In the the five Ford-O-Matic manuals I have there seems to be only 4 bolts holding the transmission case to the convertor housing and all are accessed from the outside
    Last edited by Mark Norris; 12-01-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Norris View Post
    No, I don't think so. In the the five Ford-O-Matic manuals I have there seems to be only 4 bolts holding the transmission case to the convertor housing and all are accessed from the outside
    Mark, I agree!

Here you can see three of them:

Unfortunately I have only one partially picture of the housing without converter:

Holger Klausing
    C56B1966
    C56C2503

There are bolts that go in from the bellhousing side making it to where you have to pull the bolts out of the perimeter of the bellhousing where it bolts onto the engine. Even if you could do it that way you will run into two problems. The tail shaft of the transmission sits somewhat in the frame if I remember right which makes the transmission a pain to take out if the engine is still in place. Next problem you will run into is seating the converter back into the pump. You are more than likely to damage your new front seal and not line the converter back up versus being able to put it back together. Easiest way is to pull the engine and do it on the ground instead of being underneath trying to fight it.

Pulled today no bolts on the inside of the bell housing. I had to pull the engine then the bell housing and converter then gear box out of car. I will assemble the reverse order.

Thanks for the info and any future info. Please let me know if I am missing something.

Reason for pulling out the transmission. A guy I know was driving it, he calls and said the car isn't moving. I go where he is. Car has reverse but not forward in any gear. I checked the fluid it's full but smelled really burnt. I figured he burnt up the band and or clutches.