Thread: Engine Serial Number

Default Engine Serial Number

Have been unsuccessfully looking for the engine serial number. I understand it is near the distributor. There is a machined pad on the drivers side of the distributor between the accelerator linkage stand and the valley pan that looks like it was designed as a pad to stamp numbers on. I cleaned it off and it is has no stampings. Am I looking in the correct place? The engine is painted blue which I'm assuming is the Lincoln color. Is the complete car serial number or just the last four sequence numbers supposed to be there? Still haven't attempted to remove the radio antenna yet.

Thanks, Dave

56CS3865
    55 T-Bird Custom
    55 F-100 Custom

Dave:
    Please see:
    https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...CODES-VINS-etc
    Look at attachment 6 of 10.
    On the driver's side under the distributor
    Will appear a casting "3015A Dot ( or raised bump).
    Perpendicular to that bump is a four digit stamped number. Scrape off the paint if necessary. Original engines have number approximately 982-989 less than the last four of the VIN.
    Example: 3865 minus 982 equals 2883. So look for a stamped a number between 2883-2876, for your original engine. Hope this helps. John
    P.S. Mercury, Lincoln and Ford Truck blocks do not have a stamped serial number.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 01-31-2020 at 08:08 PM.
    John Snoddy

Thanks John, Will make another run at it tomorrow. Will let you know what I find. Dave.

For what's it's worth I looked for my number and it's not there. The key is the picture John referenced, note the bolt etc. My engine is blue as well. I think the Mark II engines were champagne. I have decided I just have a good running poor old Lincoln engine!!
    Jim Glass

Default engine #

Quote Originally Posted by jimgnj View Post
    For what's it's worth I looked for my number and it's not there. The key is the picture John referenced, note the bolt etc. My engine is blue as well. I think the Mark II engines were champagne. I have decided I just have a good running poor old Lincoln engine!!
    Jim there should be a number on the block near or behind the starter if it is a Lincoln engine .

Thanks for the info. After checking for the number I was relieved to find mine is original!
    Jim Smith
    C5691312