Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Continental "cowbelly" frame

Do you have a picture of the bottom side of the frame? It looks like there's stitch welding holding the top of the rails.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Here's the layout of the cross-braces.

Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Huffstutler Guest

Glad you added your picture after mine, gives a contrast. But as I suspected, not an X-Frame by the traditional standard but still an X-Frame just the same in the end result. Slightly resembles the 1956 Packard frame below but the Continental has the added Y backbone. Substitute the I beam girders of the Packard with the round tubing and flat ladder runs and you have an idea. Just kind of reminded me of it.

Perfect. There's a picture of an exhaust system that weaves through the frame. That's what's often been inaccurately described in the old Mark II write-ups. At no point does the Mark II exhaust go through the frame.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Huffstutler Guest

No stiching on the bottom of the coupe frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Huffstutler View Post
    Here is a shot from the Sinatra project Mk II coupe frame .
    Very nice picture! Do you have more? It is for my project described in my presentation.

Huffstutler Guest

You might want to check with the owner about use of the photographs though were posted on the web. Here is a link to the project in progress but not up to date so not sure of the status:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2893470

The car # is C56A1884

Huffstutler Guest

Barry, so I am wondering since Ford used X-Frames design for strengthening of its Skyliner retractables, if the prototype Mk II retractable used a similar frame as your convertible and in turn, ended up on the Lincoln Futura concept car? In the wheel well photos I have seen of the Futura, I don't detect a bellypan as the Revell/Minogram kit suggests and it definately wasn't a '66 Galaxy ladder frame that others have depicted just because the Batmobile #1 used it only AFTER the original Futura frame was removed and scrapped.

Mark_II_Mark Guest

Now THAT would be the Mark II to own, next to Elvis's and Superman's of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Huffstutler View Post
    You might want to check with the owner about use of the photographs though were posted on the web. Here is a link to the project in progress but not up to date so not sure of the status:

Thank you for that link, it's fantastic! I will never be able to see such details in Switzerland.