Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Continental "cowbelly" frame

Huffstutler Guest

Barry,

This alone helps I am sure not only myself but others. Am what I seeing here are tubes meeting in the center at the B pillar cross brace and the backbone? In essence, they do create an X but probably looking straight up (or down) will form a star shape with the existing braces - similar to a '55 Packard frame but with the added Y backbone. Anxious to see your sketch to verify.

As for the corner bracing, don't think it is on the coupe but will check. Believe this was unique to the convertible to give strength and protection to where the extra tubing connected by Hess & Eisenhardt.

Looks like you have bottomed out a couple time with the first frame picture by the resonator

Oh yeah, overhead welding is a booger to do. I have done aluminum mig welding overhead at a shipyard and can attest to that!

Eric
    Last edited by Huffstutler; 12-21-2009 at 09:42 PM.

I'm sure I have, Eric. I drive mine a lot. Although, it's been on so may transports that scrapes could easily happen while loading or unloading.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Huffstutler Guest

Oh, I can believe that. You are just lucky not having banged up the fenders or sides going in and out of transports or onto trailers. With such a rare vehicle, I would be on pins and needles every time it moves! I am sure just trying to match the paint or getting a flawless finish would be a challenge. Since this paint has color shift characteristics, have you had to try and duplicate it in the past? If so, who or how was it acheived in this day and age? It is very hard to find "artists" with a spray gun... too much junk, too thin, fish eyes, or orange peel let along trying to "match" color and not blotch up the color shift base. When it comes to paint I'm a painter's nightmare!

Eric
    Last edited by Huffstutler; 12-21-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Interesting pictures (also for my own purpose). The heavy steel plates welded at the bottom are clearly visible. From a mechanical point of view, there should be the same plates on the top of the frame. Is there any? Maybe it was not possible due to the limited clearance.

I don't think top plates were necessary as the top of the frame is in compression, requiring less support.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    I don't think top plates were necessary as the top of the frame is in compression, requiring less support.
    That makes sense...

Huffstutler Guest

I read that 1/8-inch was shaved from the body bushings to allow for the extra plate height on the rails so not sure about the tops of them? But yes, you can clearly see the "stich" pattern aka serpentine.

Eric

Serpentine, aka "snake-like" refers to the shape of the frame rail and not the type of welding. Stitch welding leaves a gap in-between welds to allow for some flexibility while gaining strength. Stitch welding also keeps whatever you're working on from warping due to concentrated heat.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Huffstutler Guest

There seems to be all sorts of variable interpretations about frame rails

Huffstutler Guest

Here is a shot from the Sinatra project Mk II coupe frame . No corner bracing except for the rear suspension where one of the tube ladder cross members goes.