Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1956 Continental Gas Smell Problem

Braveheart Guest

Default 1956 Continental Gas Smell Problem

I just bought my second Mark II and I noticed the smell of raw gas. I can't find any leaks.
    Any suggestions on where to look that may be common to this vehicle?
    Thanks
    Chris
    Christopher Durkee
    C56D2662

I would remove the air cleaner and look for leaks in the carburetor area, then check the fuel pump and lines coming into and out of the fuel pump, then check the hose connections at the gas tank.

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Bentley GTC
    2015 Lincoln MKT

Braveheart Guest

Larry, thank you I will look again
    Chris

Chris,

Is the smell there all the time or primarily just when it's running? If its all the time, is the smell stronger when its running? If it only happens when its running or its stronger when its running, its likely a leak at the fuel pump or at the carburetor. Sometimes, those type of smells develop when you fill the tank. In that case, the hoses going to and from the gas tank, as well as the gas tank itself should be looked at carefully. The Mark II has several small sections of rubber hose associated with the gas tank.

You might want to put some clean sheets of cardboard under the car to help locate the general area of the leak.

I know that there are dyes that can be added to make the leak visible with ultra-violet light but that would be overkill at this point.

If the gas smell is very strong you might want to keep the car outside (if it is in a garage) until you locate and fix the leak.

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Bentley GTC
    2015 Lincoln MKT

That fuel tank vent tee setup could also cause a stink as well and one thing that makes my day is the rubber hose for the filler directly above the drivers side muffler!! I remember Barry mentioning a pipe was installed in place of that hose on one Mark he helped restore. He thought that was unusual and questionable but in reality perhaps getting an aluminized exhaust pipe shaped and curved in an exhaust tubing bender makes more sense than that rubber hose cooking above the muffler?? Ah yes and then there is the story of the Methanol or alchohol compatible hoses and carburetor/fuel pump parts. I'm still using NOS carb kits, NOS fuel pumps with no problems and a while back I became curious to look at my filler hose after purchasing an NOS OEM and Reproduction ""fuel compatible LOL" hose from Al Davenport and looking underneath I discovered the previous owner needed a replacement and they scabbed together two different hoses coupled with a short piece of pipe and hose clamps. These buckshee jobber hoses must be alchohol compatible because to this day they haven't leaked a drop. I think I will use the NOS hose because it is a firmer rubber instead of the somewhat limp "fuel compatible" hose. It is like brand new and IMHO looks and feels better quality than the repop. That or a muffler pipe LMAO

If you just got the car and filled the tank, I'd also suggest you look carefully at the tank vent lines on the driver's side--that has been a problem area on our car (and others that I'm familiar with).
    Pete Hoffman
    C5691209

And also check the seal on the sending unit. John
    John Snoddy

I had this problem after I filled the tank. If you don't fill the tank to the very top so the gas does not reach the vent lines,the odor should disappear.
    Andrew Aloisi

1956 Mark ll D2815
    2014 Mercedes E350 station wagon
    2015 BMW 750I
    2019 BMW 4301 CV

The "usual suspects" have replacement T fitting kits for that problematic vent problem and in reality theirs looks like a large vacuum T fitting supplied with hoses and clamps. Using a good brass T with hose barb fittings could also be used.

I had this same issue and it was leaking around the gas sending unit with a full tank.
    Ed Burnette