Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of frame does the Mark II use?

skewzme Guest

Sorry to not have responded sooner. I am not getting email updates when comments are added.
    Allow me to address several posts individually in this single post:
    * My plans definitely to take it to a knowledgable frame shop, first thing, to determine what repairs/patches are necessary to insure it's safe.
    As previously noted, the car seems pretty rigid - doors on the car shut and close perfectly. I looked at 2 others before settling on this one, and both of those had poorly closing doors.

* Question for John Snoddy - you didn't say why you would not weld it. What is the concern about possibly patching over the cut with some plate steel?

* Putting the body on a new frame? I actually thought about this. Can anyone here give me a brief overview of what would be involved? I assume the body could be taken off the frame in sections, or components? This car is too far gone to be a candidate for a concours restoration, so maybe it might be a candidate for something like that.

* I appreciate and share everyone's love for these cars. I am sure many of you own very nice examples and may find a car like this one horrid, sad and unthinkable to touch. To that I would simply say I'm still in the investigative stages right now. I recognize this isn't a good choice for a concours restoration project. But it might just be a good choice for an average driver I can enjoy without spending 6 figures.

Quote Originally Posted by skewzme View Post
    Allow me to address several posts individually in this single post:
    * My plans definitely to take it to a knowledgable frame shop, first thing, to determine what repairs/patches are necessary to insure it's safe.

* Question for John Snoddy - you didn't say why you would not weld it. What is the concern about possibly patching over the cut with some plate steel?

Tim:
    I am extremely pleased that you will take your frame to a professional and seek their advice. Well done. The integrity of the frame is imperative to safety.
    If the outer frame rail is breached, it should be addressed by a professional. The safety of you, your family and your friends is the paramount concern.

A car frame is very similar to the foundation of a house or any building. You must have a solid frame for a safe car. You must have a good foundation for any building.

Good luck. John
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 09-19-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    John Snoddy

That looks very fixable but only one picture we see. You can brake a pice of metal to fit inside of original frame rail,weld but must be done correctly. Smart move going to a good shop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Anthony Orofino
    Mt. Sinai N.Y.