Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1957 Mark II's

Default 1957 Mark II's

If I remember correctly, the main differences made to the 444 57's was a different carburetor and the elimination of the air inlets on the top of the rear fenders.

Can anyone tell me what Carburetor was used on the 57's and what other changes there were if any?

Thanks,

Jack
    Jack Bowser
    C56B2198
    Past Ownership 1991, 3206, and 1763
    2006 Ford GT
    2006 Cadillac XLR-V
    427 Cobra
    2012 Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster
    1924 Dodge Brothers Rat Rod
    Lots of Bowser gas Pumps

Jack,

I am on my way out the door but, as I recall, there is already a post that discusses the differences between 1956 and 1957. Do a SEARCH and you shoudl find it.

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Bentley GTC
    2015 Lincoln MKT

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bowser View Post
    If I remember correctly, the main differences made to the 444 57's was a different carburetor and the elimination of the air inlets on the top of the rear fenders.

Can anyone tell me what Carburetor was used on the 57's and what other changes there were if any?

Thanks,

Jack
    Just use the search box in the upper right hand corner:
    Here's the thread:

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...57+differences
    John Snoddy

Hold the phone on the A/C vents as 3391 which is a supposed 56 doesn't have them as well. Seems to me they were eliminated in the 2,000 series and up.
    Different cylinder heads, higher compression and 300HP from 285.
    A limited slip AKA Positrack differential
    Coolant cooled transmission instead of air cooled and mine is still air
    A few additional colors were added for the exterior paint.
    Some vinyl was used on door panels in some of the latest 57's again correct me if I'm wrong.
    Oh yes almost forgot this one! A 120 MPH speedometer replaced the 140 mph which mine still has.
    As for the Carburator it was a slightly larger Carter carburetor than the Holley with a single diaphragm distributor advance assembly. As for the Holley which many flame mine works very well with no hesitation! As for the wives tale towering inferno ANY carburetor can have a sticking needle and seat causing overflow. Mine has only done this once from sitting for many months and the carburetor became varnished with the float in the down position totally not the fault of the carburator but neglect on my part so the towering inferno theory is easy to debunk.
    The exterior mirror is also another as I was told the late 56 and 57 had a flat faced mirror whereas the earlier 56 had the glass slightly protruding past the stainless.
    This should be a good start with the differences as I'm only a 25 year Mark II fossil and have probably missed a few.
    These differences or additions and subtractions also were back in 56 as well and a good example other than A/C vents are the cross braces on the frame being eliminated and mine falls into this category.
    C56K3391
    Two-Tone 05/16
    1950 Mercury Sedan

Ah yes while I was typing this John and Larry posted before I was finished.
    C56K3391
    Two-Tone 05/16
    1950 Mercury Sedan

I tries several searches and didn't come up with a 56/57 comparison.

can you direct me?

thanks.
    Jack Bowser
    C56B2198
    Past Ownership 1991, 3206, and 1763
    2006 Ford GT
    2006 Cadillac XLR-V
    427 Cobra
    2012 Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster
    1924 Dodge Brothers Rat Rod
    Lots of Bowser gas Pumps

Here is the original thread on explaining the hood differences:
    https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...ight=1957+hood

Please see Pat Marshall's #4 post and pics. One key is the visibility of the sound deadener.

The sound deadener is not visible on six compartments of the 1957 hood.
    John Snoddy

Thanks for reminding me of that because mine being a late 56 has an oddball hood due to this. I was always pondering about a hood blanket and remember seeing a blanket for sale from the late Mad Scientist and his was a 57 blanket which probably would have been "politically correct" but anyway mine never ever had one and a Mark II guru pointed out to me where the factory made retainer holes are located which I found and discovered were never used. Nope the hood was never replaced and the hinges are also like new but that's understandable because the former owner had it locked away for over 16-19 years without the ignition key ever being turned and 3391 hardly moves in my possession as well making many that know the car well feel the 55,000 showing is original
    C56K3391
    Two-Tone 05/16
    1950 Mercury Sedan

Nickatmrinvestor Guest

Cant get to the links. Says it wants me to pay. Do I need to set up a free group? My car is a 56 ac car. No fender ducts. What does that mean?