Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J.C. Daniels History and Lincoln Auction

Don Keller Guest

Default "The Way of the Zephyr" - LCOC Jan. '98

Hey Gary,

I hope these are legible. Some may have read this before. It must have been nice having all those collector cars.

Don Keller
    C56R3838
    Jackson, TN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default J.C. Daniels History and Lincoln Auction

Thanks Don. Terrific read. Those old cars help keep the sanity. Gary

Default Buddy holiday meets j.c. Daniels (and his cars)

The following article was written by Buddy Holiday and appeared in The CONTINENTAL 1989 September-October Vol 12, No 6.

34 MARK IIs

On Thursday evening we arrived at Pampa, Texas, a small town about sixty miles north east of Amarillo. Our purpose for stopping there was to "investigate" the story that I have related before about a fellow that owns many Mark IIs. Indeed he does! I called him about seven PM, reintroduced myself (I had called him about a year earlier) and asked if I could visit with him the following day, Friday. He said he was busy but he could give me a few minutes. His name is J.C. Daniels and he owns some 285 oil wells, refineries, etc. And he owns over 300 Lincolns and Continentals! 34 of them are Mark IIs in average to good condition. One Mark II is an older body shop custom with quad headlamps, over and under in a white pearlescent. Another is dark green with a cloth type roof with a Derham medallion. I saw about 20 of the Mark IIs and dozens of other Lincolns. He has 60 Continentals convertibles, 16 Mark IIIs and some Mark Is.

J.C. was the Continental dealer in Pampa and he says his company sold 34 Mark IIs! I believe he has confused that number with the number of Mark IIs that he owns. At first I thought that maybe he owned 34 of them so that he could duplicate what his company sold, but my records show that his company only sold 2 Mark IIs.

Construction on a new building there was just completed and it is to house 119 Lincolns and Continentals, and he is putting up some more new buildings to house more. I remarked to him that it would be nice if he made it in to a sort of museum so other people could enjoy his cars, but he says it is nobody's business what cars he has. When I asked if I could get some of the serial numbers of the Mark IIs, again he says it is nobody's business! I explained to him how it is so important to me to account for all the Mark IIs that I could, but he wouldn't budge.

He told me how he thought he would have his good friend, Aaron Spelling, do a movie about him and have his good friend Dale Robertson, narrate it, but that doesn't jive with, It's nobody's business!"

He apparently is not buying all these cars for resale, and he's not doing full restorations on them. He has 3 men working for him doing the cars, but only "cleaning" them up. He says he gets the cars from friends, etc. around the country.

J.C. is only about mid-sixty so these cars may be "buried" for many years to come. At least I know where 34 Mark IIs are, even if I don't have the serial numbers.
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 01-30-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Default The liquidation of the Daniels Collection.

A google search reveals that the J. C. Daniels Collection of approx. 500 cars was auctioned off one week end in 2003. Here's the LINK to see the auction results.

Looking at those selling prices today is shocking. Obviously putting so many cars on the block at the same time resulted in a Buyer's market. I wish I could have been at that auction.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

I would imagine that the Auction company had to keep a record of the VIN and the buyer of each car. Has anyone tried to see if that list is available? I's a mind boggling list - you could drive a different car each day for over a year!
    Last edited by Joseph Stebbins; 01-30-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

Don Keller Guest

I have one of the 34 Mark IIs (C56R3838) and corresponded by email with two individuals from the auction staff. They were polite and did some checking and got back with me. However, they both stated that due to privacy of information they could not release any information. His widow's name is mentioned in one article I've come across, but I do believe that contacting her might be a step too far. I asked the PR staff for history on my car and any specifics that might have been provided at the auction. I did get the impression that such information might be available, just not releaseable. This makes about as much sense to me as not releasing one's own medical records to the patient without jumping through several hoops. Perhaps those on this forum who are lawyers will better understand why a used car purchaser's name is confidential...I guess to keep them from being bothered. It would be very interesting if there's a forum member who lives in or near Pampa Texas who would interview one of those who did the "cleaning" or maybe a family member or friend. I'll bet that whoever's in the know about J. C. Daniels and the cars he once owned would be known to the car collectors in Pampa. It would be a great human (car) interest story IMO.

Don
    Last edited by Don Keller; 01-30-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Keller View Post
    I have one of the 34 Mark IIs (C56R3838) and corresponded by email with two individuals from the auction staff. They were polite and did some checking and got back with me. However, they both stated that due to privacy of information they could not release any information. His widow's name is mentioned in one article I've come across, but I do believe that contacting her might be a step too far.
    Don
    Too far, I'm sorry to say:

Amarillo Globe-News, Sept. 12, 2004
    Joni Daniels, 82, died Friday, Sept. 10, 2004...Mrs. Daniels was born Feb. 23, 1922, in Lockney. She came to Pampa in 1954 from Amarillo. She married J.C. Daniels on June 26, 1954, in Pampa...She was preceded in death by her husband, J.C., on Jan. 30, 2000...

The obituary names J.C's and Joni's daughters who still live in Pampa. They might be able to provide some insight.

http://amarillo.com/stories/091204/obi_jdaniels.shtml

Don, your car's history in the Registry is one of the most complete that we have for a J.C. Daniels car. It names Joni and shows that she owned the cars for three years after J.C.'s death.

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthrea...3838#post20931
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

I remember this auction Shelly, and yes, seeing the prices this stuff went for made me sick. Do you know if there are still pictures of the cars around?
    Morgan Milstead

Default J.C. Daniels Auction Pictures

I have some photographs of cars at the J.C. Daniels Auction in 2003. Below are both Mark II and miscellaneous Lincoln pictures. For Mark IIs, the first number in the picture title will be the number assigned by JC Daniels' people and the second is the last 4 digits of the respective car's VIN. RM auction in their listings provided their own stock number, these are shown in an earlier post in this thread.
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 02-20-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Don Keller Guest

Default C.J. Daniels Cars

Pat,

I took your suggestion and have been corresponding with Marilyn Crafton of Pampa. She is J.C. Daniels Daughter and a nice lady. I have attached her email below and will provide anything further for the Forum. Your histories really bring out the fact of all the Mark IIs that spent time in Pampa. I'll keep my fingers crossed and if anyone has any suggestions, they'd be appreciated. I sometimes get over zealous in my search for history.
    Last edited by Don Keller; 02-19-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Attachment