Thread: 3186 has arrived - now the questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 3186 has arrived - now the questions

Hello All,

After buying sight-unseen in California then spending 6 months shipping the the UK, clearing customs and going through vehicle registration (now license number is 155 UYY so age appropriate for 1956) my Mark ii is finally here in Aberdeen, Scotland. Unfortunately after a 600 mile trailer trip to home from the importer's premises near London we managed to time its arrival with the first snow fall of winter complete with a howling gale. It was quite a struggle to get her into the garage in the dark and a flat battery didn't help! Managed to jump start it the next morning and it fired up first crank, quite a beast (we're not used to 6 Liter V8's here).

Now all clean and polished she looks very smart again. The kids have named her Connie and upped their rate for car washing given all that bodywork! I've had time to look over her in detail and have some questions that I can't find answers to in the many manuals/articles I've gathered over the last year, perhaps someone will know;

1) Its drums front and back but has been converted to a dual circuit brakes with a more modern servo (booster). Works great, prehaps too great ...the brake pedal does'nt seem to move at all but the car practically stops on it nose when you apply even light foot pressure. Perhaps its been over-boosted? Will send a picture of the booster if it helps.

2) There are three toggle switches under the dash on the drivers side (though one looks like an add on), what are they for?

3) The two fuel tank top vents have been plugged off (in fact the tank could be new ... the drain plug has a Torx Star recess which doesn't look very 1950s), is this a common modification?

4) its got new front and rear shocks but the rear ones are attached above the leaf springs and not below them, is this normal for shocks now available. The old shock mounts (below the leaf springs) are still there.

Any information would be much appriciated.

Kind regards,

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer