Thread: Finally got my car. Now about those brakes...

Default Finally got my car. Now about those brakes...

My car has been converted to a dual brake hydraulic system and a different booster, which may be a very good or a very bad thing. Can anyone identify what I have and/or does anyone have any experiences with same, good or bad? It has NOT been converted to disc brakes.56 Mark II brake booster and mcy.jpg
    Paul E Davis
    C56H3229

It is not an aftermarket booster and master cylinder. It is a OEM unit of undetermined make to me. Can you take a picture from the other side and maybe with the cap off, please?
    Jay Hillsten
    C56F3099

It's a standard Ford master from the early 70s. It is used for disc front drum rear. The larger rear chamber is for the front disc. I see no reason it won't work on drums. The only reason the chamber is larger is to provide more volume to the calipers.
    C56-91291,
    1952 Ford F-1 Pick-up,
    1962 Chevrolet Impala 427,
    1973 Harley-Davidson FL

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Barger For This Useful Post:

rickswrecks (12-04-2017), RODPARTS (09-28-2017)

Drum brake master cylinders usually have a 10 lb. residual valve built into them. A master cylinder from a disc front/drum rear car has the residual valve for the drums built into the combination valve (the brass valve you see on production cars - it is a combination metering and proportioning valve with a low level light switch built in) It may be just the angle of the picture, but your master cylinder looks to have a brake light switch installed off of one of the master cylinder ports? Also make sure your brake line is not close to the exhaust - if it is, the fluid can heat up and boil with a loss of braking ability. Can you take closer pictures of the master cylinder? For disc front/drum rear, we use a 1" bore master cylinder and a 1 1/8" bore for disc/disc applications. A drum/drum setup could use a 7/8" bore master cylinder For more pressure.
    Jay Hillsten
    C56F3099

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RODPARTS For This Useful Post:

Drive Junk (11-26-2017), rickswrecks (12-04-2017)

My thoughts precisely regarding proximity of exhaust to brake line. Pedal gets hard and no amount of extra leg exertion increases braking. I have convinced myself that a disc brake conversion is in both my best interest as well as the cars. No reason to immolate a Pinto because I can't stop. Anyone have suggestions or reviews on available change overs? I possess sufficient skills, equipment and tools to install a well sorted "kit". Not afraid to do the work. Good winter project, IMHO.
    Paul E Davis
    C56H3229

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Junk View Post
    My thoughts precisely regarding proximity of exhaust to brake line. Pedal gets hard and no amount of extra leg exertion increases braking. I have convinced myself that a disc brake conversion is in both my best interest as well as the cars. No reason to immolate a Pinto because I can't stop. Anyone have suggestions or reviews on available change overs? I possess sufficient skills, equipment and tools to install a well sorted "kit". Not afraid to do the work. Good winter project, IMHO.
    I have installed a couple of kits provided by American Brake and Steering (ABS) they are bolt on and include all the parts for the front brake conversion (except the tubing). You may have to change the wheels because of clearance, check with rodparts and Jay can help with that.
    C56-91291,
    1952 Ford F-1 Pick-up,
    1962 Chevrolet Impala 427,
    1973 Harley-Davidson FL