Thread: hood latch

Default hood latch

has anyone had any issues with opening the hood of the car when the latch does not work. Today The latch bar moved to the right but the hood would only go up about two inches. I looked under the small opening but could not see how to get the hood unlatched. Vin
    Vincent Cashin
    C56C2571

well after 4 hours of using long screwdrivers through the small grill opening and using a very long 9/16 wrench through a 2 inch opening to remove the top part that goes into the latch I finally was able to open the hood. I found the small cap that the AC teck forgot to put back on when he charged the system the other day. It worked its way between the latch and the long rod in the hood.
    I wonder if he knew it was me when his ears began to hurt from all of the cursing.
    Vincent Cashin
    C56C2571

Wow that sounds like no fun but I am glad you got it opened without damaging anything. So you unbolted the latch bar? Can you give a detailed explanation so the next poor guy only has to spend 3 hours on his knees cursing the wind?

Thanks!

Joseph
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

OK here it goes. First everyone should look at the lock assembly to see how it works, very helpful. Second whenever working over that area put a rag or cardboard over the lock latch hole. looking at the grill there is no way to remove the grill from the outside. If you look to the right of the center post on the grill at the two top holes you can see the latch outside of the locking assembly, you can put a long screwdriver through the hole and insert the driver into the outside of the locking mechanism and put the latch to the right to clear the plunger. If that is your only problem you are golden. My problem was a acorn nut between the lock and the plunger.
    Moving the outside latch gave me enough room to push the hood up about 3 inches. I first tried to remove the nut holding the plunger to the top plate but could not turn the plunger. I next took
    a 1/4 in drive extension and a 9/16 socket and was able to remove the bolts holding the plunger and viola open the hood to see what the problem was.
    When putting the plunger and plate back onto the hood follow the outline on the old paint so that it is approximately in the same place. Test several times and adjust if necessary
    Cuz Vinnie.
    Vincent Cashin
    C56C2571

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cuz vinnie For This Useful Post:

Doc (08-08-2017), jdsnoddy (08-04-2017), Joseph Stebbins (08-04-2017), rickswrecks (08-04-2017)

Default Hood latch

I pt a hood lock on mine , I have had the hood fly up on two cars and the damage isn't pretty. I cant imagine the damage to hood and vehicle if it happened to my mark. I found an old house double hung window lock with key. It actually looks factory installed!!!!! ERATCHETOS
    Larry Cero
    c5601606

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eratchetos For This Useful Post:

rickswrecks (08-21-2017)