Thread: I've always wanted one!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I've always wanted one!!

Greetings,
    I am Steve Apter. I am a semi-retired car dealer in my early 60's. I love to play with old cars!! As everyone says who I tell, or show pics of my Mark II, I've always admired these cars, and have lusted after one for many years! I have car number 1142. Same senior owner since 1994. Original with one repaint, and bumpers done, so I'm told. It is a nice solid car with no A/C. Interior is mostly original, and is tired. Nice body and chrome that presents well. It runs well, but has no brakes, so I haven't driven it. i am currently doing the complete brake system, and then I can see what I bought!! Below is a link to pics when I first got it(Admin...if not allowed, let me know, and I will delete!). Thanks for the add!!!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10530...14035935124609

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imotors For This Useful Post:

jdsnoddy (07-30-2017), rickswrecks (07-31-2017), RL Chilton (07-30-2017), Robert McGuire (07-29-2017)

Hi Steve,

The link works fine, was able to view all the photos. It looks like you have a nice car to start with and it will only be better as you complete the brake work. Let us all know how the first official starting and stopping test drive goes.
    Kyle
    Kyle Van Meter

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Firefour For This Useful Post:

imotors (07-30-2017)

Very nice. Treadal Vac rebuild kits, complete are available from Kanter Auto Parts. Make sure the vacuum canister, located inside the right frame rail is holding vacuum, adjust all the brakes up until the wheels do not move before you start bleeding the system, [of course you have already checked the wheel cylinders], I found that makes bleeding and pedal firmness easier, then readjust when done bleeding. Readjust the handbrake cable, and you will find that for a 5500lb car it stops fairly well. Of course everyone has their own way of doing this, but I have done one or two that way, and I think it really does help with a soft pedal. I think you interior has a nice survivor look to it. The scuff mark on the lower door panel, is probably your door sagging on the hinge a little. Good luck with your car.

Wait a minute, I just saw where you live. Are you Steve Apter, as in friends with Don Stern, Pittsburgh Collision, Lawrenceville, Butler Auto Auction, had a BMW in your basement of your house over 40 years ago, that Steve Apter??? Just cant be!
    Last edited by lincoln mark; 07-30-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    Mark A Maromonte

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lincoln mark For This Useful Post:

imotors (07-30-2017)

Yes Mark,
    I am!!! Been a VERY long time!! I still stay in touch with John. World is just getting smaller and smaller!
    FYI....brand new wheel cylinders and hoses all around with new shoes. Treadle Vac out being rebuilt now. I sent it to Calif through Jack at Mark II ent. Hopefully will be on the road week after next.
    724.325.0000 anytime!
    Nice hearing from you!!
    if my feeble memory is correct, you had a yellow Eldo Biarritz?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to imotors For This Useful Post:

jdsnoddy (07-31-2017)

Congrats on your new acquisition. Black is a great color for the car. At least I think so, since I own a black one.
    Howard Hanchett
    1956 Continental Mark II C5691376

10. The Following User Says Thank You to linmk2 For This Useful Post:

imotors (07-30-2017)

Welcome to the forum and the fun of these sometimes cantankerous cars (and owners ) - glad to see you found an old friend (speaking of cantankerous... pot calling the kettle here! ) One thing you also should attend to is the dogleg seals on the top of the door by the hinges. there is a drain that appears to be covered and the makeshift seals were probably better than nothing but there are correct replacements available now and it will keep the door panel dry.

Looks good! Hope you get many pleasurable miles from her!

Joseph
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Stebbins For This Useful Post:

jdsnoddy (08-02-2017)