Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie.....offered a unrestored 56' Mark II...value?

Here are a few from my car. Note, none of this was visible with the rear bumper in place.

Larrybodyrust.jpg

Durocher R body rust (18).jpg

Durocher rear panel rust (22).jpg

Durocher lincoln more LR added brace rust.jpg

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Maserati Gran Turismo drophead
    2015 Lincoln MKT

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lld For This Useful Post:

rickswrecks (06-26-2017)

It may be hard to do a #3 car ... the mark is like peeling an onion.
    John Szabo
    C56C2451

Quote Originally Posted by Notime View Post
    The car was sold new in San Diego.......lived a while in Arizona , then El Paso.........then inside a barn in Texas for 30 years.

I plan to get it up on Jack stands before making a purchase. I just want to make the Best educated Buy that I can!
    First of all, hearty congrats. You are doing everything right so far. Research and opinions are great in making a well informed decision.
    Secondly, with the history of 1275, chances are very good that your car is free of frame rust damage. Also, this car is from the class of 1984, which means that this forum has not had any information on this car since 1984. Another one found. Woo hoo.

Frame damage is especially common behind the front wheels where salt splashes up on the frame.

I'm with Mark on the value; anything below $7500 is in your favor; above $7,500 in his. Good luck and thanks for the pics. John
    John Snoddy

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdsnoddy For This Useful Post:

Notime (06-26-2017), rickswrecks (06-26-2017)

Thank you Larry

I have been combing the old forum posts here and found your original pics........I'm definitely not gonna pull the trigger on anything until I get the car on jack stands and really check the frame and body mounts.
    Nicholas Thomas

The car being MIA since 1984 fits the owners story......he says he's had it stored indoors (in 2-3 different places since 1985-86)

I've tried to contact the owner from 1973-1984 listed on the database but can't find his contact information through Google. If this information came from the LCOC.....do they have Owners full name and last known address??
    Nicholas Thomas

Nicholas, I have the LCOC directories from 1973-1981, with the exception of '79-'80. I couldn't find him listed in any of them.
    Jim Ayres

1042 North Lexan Crescent, Norfolk, Virginia 23508

Nicholas,
    You want this car, I can hear it. It's not an investment...it's a hobby and cheaper than golf. It's going to cost money, you'll enjoy the process of learning as you go. Anything can be fixed. I would get it on a lift and put an impact chisel everywhere on the frame....note the lifting points. Unless the car folds in half and the doors won't close, rust can be fixed by a competent welder.
    I've got 4 MKII's, one a rusty project, but with an excellent frame. I consider it worth restoring. Maybe I lucked out with the others.. never had any structural rust.
    The peeling of an onion is a great analogy to the MKII and ever surfacing problems. I prefer to compare it to a layered confection though.
    I would not try to start it without an mechanic slowly lubricating the engine first, especially if the water pump is seized. The oil looks clean because all the debris has settled to the bottom after 30 years. No water in the system?? antifreeze would have been the solution, not draining it. you've likely got a leak. You're going to have to redo all the systems anyway, plus odd things like the drive shaft isolator bushing and other things peculiar to the MKII. This is not a Model T you're bringing out of a barn...It's more like the Starship Enterprize.
    I was looking for the elusive bargain MKII for many years. Once I got educated, I found that $18-25K was what I'd have to pay for something needing restoration to a #3 level. I just maintain and drive mine now without too much ambition and love every minute. Buy this car and plan to take a second mortgage later...or give up other hobbies...you'll find a way without too much sacrifice.
    K Colonna
    C56A1773
    C56B2131
    C56D2636
    C56C1917
    1955 Lincoln Capri
    1959 Lincoln Capri Sport Coupe
    1989 Ford Country Squire wagon
    1998 Mark VIII
    1959 Heinkel Tourist skooter 103-A1

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keith W Colonna For This Useful Post:

Doc (08-08-2017), jdsnoddy (08-08-2017), rickswrecks (08-08-2017)