Thread: 1956 Mark II

Default 1956 Mark II

Hello everyone! I recently inherited a 1956 Mark II from my Step Father. As far as I know he purchased the car in the 70's. I don't have the vin to post tonight but I will post it tomorrow. The car is Dark Blue Metallic with Light/Med blue interior and AC. I understand these cars are pretty rare, they sure were ahead of their time in styling.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MichiganMarkII For This Useful Post:

rickswrecks (05-17-2017)

I have always been a car guy and so have my friends. I am more of a Chevy guy but the Mark is really cool. My buddies all have classic cars and they are freaking over the Mark.

Freaking out as they should. LOL. Welcome aboard! This forum contains a great deal of very useful information regarding the Mark II. In addition to the information, members have a wealth of knowledge they are happy to share with fellow Mark II owners. The Mark II was made only two years, 1956 to 1957. Slightly more than 3000 were made during the production period. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your newly acquired Continental.
    Howard Hanchett
    1956 Continental Mark II C5691376

56MarkII.jpg

Here's a picture of my vin tag. What can anyone tell me about this car?
    Jeff Bogan

Hello Jeff,

here you'll find the known history of your car:

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthrea...highlight=1655
    Holger Klausing
    1956 Continental Mark II, C56B1966 + C56C2503

To add to Holger's post, here is the break down of your vehicle's VIN plate: C56=Continental 1956 (57 used the same 56 designation). A=month of manufacture, which based on information from the 1956-57 Continental Master Parts Catalog is November. 1655 is the number serial number. The first Mark II was #1001. That makes yours the 655th Mark II produced.

02=Deep Blue exterior paint. 3H1C=Deep Blue Matelasse Cloth Seat Biscuits and Medium Blue Leather Seat Bolsters. 111=Date of Production November 11th, 1=Rotation Number. "This is a sequence number at beginning of operations and starting with No 1 each day (that is your vehicle) and continuing consecutively through production day. If production schedule is not completed on production day, consecutive series continues the following day until schedule has been completed".
    Howard Hanchett
    1956 Continental Mark II C5691376

I would love to see some close up pictures of the seat inserts if you would not mind- I have not been in the MKII world long and the Matelassť cloth intrigues me having never seen/touched this option- my curiosity has been pinched.
    Mike Teske
    C56B1984

I will get pictures and post them hopefully tomorrow.
    Jeff Bogan

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MichiganMarkII For This Useful Post:

jdsnoddy (06-03-2017), rickswrecks (06-02-2017)

Looks great and your interior could easily be brought up to very nice condition by having a professional clean the Maltese and Leather and touch up the dye where necessary. Great Car!
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340