Thread: gold letters

Default gold letters

I ran into a 56 red car the other day and it had all gold plated letters front and rear and the continental hood and trunk ornament were gold plated.
    Was this a option or is it after market ? Does anyone know. Thanks Cuz Vinnie
    Vincent Cashin
    C56C2571

Gold plating was not an option,at least to my knowledge,however the Continental division may have meet someones needs ,depending on whom you were .what was gold plated on all of them was the Knight head on the rear trunk lock cover,thats 24K ,the l/r front fender ebblems ,but only the star part,not sure if in fact it was real gold or just plating,the front rug Continental script nameplate was also gold,not sure about the real gold ,or plating on that one either. My guess is the owner of the 56 you saw just wanted everything gold and sent it all out.
    Dominick Toscano
    1957 MKII C56R3772
    1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider
    2006 Mustang convertible,sport pkg & mint
    1973 GMC 2500 crew cab ,retro modded,always needed paint ,my' Max'
    1993 Ducati 904SPS SS, 2nd place show winner
    1978 Tracy 550 Honda ,2nd place show winner

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dominick Toscano For This Useful Post:

cuz vinnie (05-17-2017)

Back in the 80's gold plating of chrome emblems was popular especially on Cadillac's. We had a machine that would have a wand like a soldering gun and it would plate with the emblems still on the car.
    Bill Reilich
    C56J3360

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silent Thunder For This Useful Post:

jdsnoddy (Today), rickswrecks (Yesterday)