Thread: Wiring problem

Default Wiring problem

My friend bought the complete new wiring harness from the fellow in Oregon for his 1956 Mark II. He has installed it and is now having some strange problems with it. I have been helping him with his restoration for the past 2 + years. This is the 4th Mark II that I have done and the first one that I have encountered so many problems with the wiring. He did have several wires in the wrong spot but after correcting that there are still several issues. First of all, several wires were to short and we had to make them longer. The cigarette lighter on the right door worked but the dash and the left door didnít work. We think that they were not spliced together in the harness. We added a new wire outside of the harness to get power to the left side lighters. Now everything works except, when the key is turned on the dash lights go on even though the light switch is off. The light switch will dim the dash lights only when the ignition switch is off. Also the turn signals work but both indicators lights flash at the same time. We have checked and tripled check all of the connecting wires. He even bought a new light switch. Iím thinking that some place in this new harness the dash lights have been wired to a switch hot lead. Has anyone had this problem with a new harness and or does anyone have an idea as to what might be wrong? I have included a picture of the ignition switch and the light switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Walt Johnsen

what is that brown double connector for by your hand? I have that same one and it is not connected. Thanks Vin
    Vincent Cashin
    C56C2571

Hi Walt, I think I had a problem like that with the dash lights in the instrument cluster, it has been awhile so the memory is fuzzy. I do remember running a separate ground wire from a screw hole in the cluster to the firewall. I also did the same for the lower lights also.
    Mark A Maromonte

The double brown wires are for ashtray and lighter lights. I have also run separate ground wires.
    Walt Johnsen

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toyman For This Useful Post:

cuz vinnie (04-15-2017), jdsnoddy (04-14-2017)

I would assume that there is a similar double wire to connect to ? I did not see any.
    Vincent Cashin
    C56C2571

No there will only be one wire which will be from the small light that attaches to the side of the lighter housing.
    Walt Johnsen

8. The Following User Says Thank You to toyman For This Useful Post:

cuz vinnie (04-16-2017)