Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1073 - possible buyer

If its a decent driver for $15K fine... buy it and have fun driving it.... but if you go the restoration route you speak of then I would be looking for a car already up to your future expectations. Its always best to buy a car already the way you want it. To repair and restore is very, very expensive.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelly Harris For This Useful Post:

Barry Wolk (04-04-2017), Dominick Toscano (04-04-2017)

Wise words. There is no such thing as a inexpensive Mark II candidate. Buy them done and let the P.O. take the hit.

The car I'm working on only had 20,000 miles on it but turned into an $80,000 mechanical restoration.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Thanks for the advice
    Jason Arata
    Sacramento, CA

Default Well now what?

I look at the car today. Some pros and cons. Paint is bad, real bad. cracking bubbling and completely coming off in spots. Chrome is mostly good although some rust on the front bumper. Floor panel was wet so obvious leak, Driver door wouldn't close properly, not sure if its hinge striker or just old and sagging. Interior seemed clean, although when the doors were open the top of the doors looked rough, seems to be a nice valley to collect water. Engine was clean but not original. Missing a letter on CONTINENTAL trim on hood, also knob on the turn signal was missing. My main concern is rust, I don't want a 25k paint job. I'll attach some pictures and appreciate anyone's feedback! Oh one more thing they are negotiable on the price, they said no to a 10k offer but it was the first one, probably can get around 12k, hopefully nobody buys it today!

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jason Arata
    Sacramento, CA

Why do you say it is the wrong motor? What motor does it have?
    Jay Hillsten
    C56F3099

The guy selling it told me it was a Lincoln motor rebuilt from a 70s era car.
    Jason Arata
    Sacramento, CA

Judging the car from a pic is hard to do..However overall,the doors paint peeling and bubbling or what ever is doing so could be a really bad prep job,or filled with gobs of bondo,the wet floors could be door weatherstrips and A pillar strips,may also be heater cores. Do all lights and gauges work,does the tail lamp that retracts work properly,get the car in the air and check for sill and floor panel rust and any other damage.with the engine swap is the stock trans used,and does it shift fine,that motor BTW looks to me to be an early Lincoln continental 460 61-64 era with the overflow tank gone,note the generater and not 70,s alternater ,perhaps they ran the original ,but I doubt it...To me it may be the someone doesn't know what their talking about ,I may be wrong about the engine ,but it surelooks like a 460 to me!//run the engine #,and take the car where you can see more undercarriage....As a driver its up to you......
    Dominick Toscano
    1957 MKII C56R3772
    1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider
    2006 Mustang convertible,sport pkg & mint
    1973 GMC 2500 crew cab ,retro modded,always needed paint ,my' Max'
    1993 Ducati 904SPS SS, 2nd place show winner
    1978 Tracy 550 Honda ,2nd place show winner

The 460 (385series) was phased in during the 1968 production run. The 1958 thru 1965 used the 430 FE motor (painted black), and 1966, 1967 and early 1968 had the 462 FE motor (painted the more familiar blue).

Gary.

Oops! I mis-typed, that is MEL not FE!
    Last edited by goob; 04-05-2017 at 08:27 AM.
    Gary Grieshaber

The seller claims its a 460 from a 1973 Lincoln, Bids I'm getting on Paint for this bad boy probably prices me out. I love to car but don't want the paint cost to exceed the overall value. Thanks everyone for their expertise
    Jason Arata
    Sacramento, CA

Great engine... had one in my '74 Mark IV. It would really sit up that heavy car and move it out quick.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II