Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member and Potential Owner

Default New Member and Potential Owner

Good afternoon!

I'm in St. Paul, MN, and a lifelong lover of most things cars. I've tended to lean European Sports car (currently own a hot-rodded TR6 and a last of the breed original MINI Cooper), but have been a dyed in the wool classic FoMoCo personal as well. I'm seriously considering a MkII and need to know if I should seriously have my head examined? :-) To that end, are there basics details I should be looking for in checking out cars? I'm going to be purchasing on the lower $$ end of the spectrum, but hardly basket case examples as that's beyond my means and patience at this time.

Any bullet points would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Aaron

Like any car buy the best car you can afford. There is nothing like a Mark II but remember it is not a sports car even though it is officially a "sport coupe" by body designation. It is still a 50's car but drives more like a 60's car and will turn heads in any town.

As far as what to look for? The same things you do with any car Rust, signs of collision, completeness, originality and correctness. Highest price is in well restored, correct cars. The all leather interior with correct patterning is very important - quite a few cars have leather interiors with cut corner bolsters, stock has no seams in the bolsters. It is a quick way to tell if the restorer "cut corners" or not...

Good luck!
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

Another Minnesotan here.

See posts #7 and #9 in this thread for a checklist:

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthrea...ge-of-C56E2904

For rust, see this thread, for example post #9:

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthrea...5083-Frame-Rot

Good luck!

You might go see Mark II #2094 in Golden Valley. Even if it's out of your price range (as it is mine), you'll see what a superb example looks like. I posted pictures of it in the JLR showroom:

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthrea...5952#post45952

Not sure I would recommend Mark II #1775 in St Louis Park...

Peter

You will need to look at three things, frame, frame. frame!
    Mark A Maromonte

Thank you, all! Peter, I sent you a P.M.

Cheers!
    Aaron Courteau

Good evening -

Having some time to spare before the coming snow storm, I in fact went to look at #1775 in St. Louis Park today. Dale is a nice enough gentleman. We have enough in common with our love of all things wheeled including old British Bikes so as to be disarming to him - so much so that when done looking at the MKII he shared with me the 6 bikes he has in his basement shop. Very fun.

Unfortunately, I think he got in over his head when buying this car. The hood needed - and STILL needs - extensive work, as it had had severe pitting from the underside. He suspects a result of a carb fire in the past. The hood repair has been all but botched - even to my novice eye. In the very least it will require extensive filler work just to make smooth, and then the paint. Those in the know will already be aware that the car was repainted at sometime to its current faded red, and BOY did they paint it! Over-spray everywhere in the trunk and its lid. there is minor rust bubbling at the fore and aft corners of the driver's door, and surface (at least) rust appearing at most of the seams (along the rain channels, at the bases of the "C" pillars, etc...) The underside looks FAIRLY clean for a car of such vintage, but there is damage to one of the passenger side frame "outriggers" - as if it had been jacked from the wrong spot and then some rust has set in. The doors don't seem to sag, but definitely require a good tug. The driver's side door glass is cracked top to bottom, and the upper dash pad is trashed and has a cover over it. The hub caps have also been painted the same red in between their vanes, and so have the wheels themselves - including the spare. I got to hear the car run. It's cold up here, and the car ran like it was. He reportedly rebuilt the carb, but said the choke was sticking. I didn't hear anything horrible coming from the engine. He also reported the car needing to be in neutral in order to start... That's disconcerting. The exhaust did not seem loud, but there were spots in the visible bends that have had patches welded in. He reportedly replaced the timing chain and water pump, as well as the brake master, but had not worked on the brakes themselves... just the wheel bearings. The car shows 42XXX miles. Hard to tell how close that is to not having rolled over. Besides the dash pad, the interior was fairly clean with incorrectly re-done white seats in good shape. Needless to say, I did not get to find out if the gauges and heater were working. All of the windows seemed to work - however slowly. Tires are very old white walls. All of the chrome appeared to be there except the CONTINENTAL across the front, and the chrome bar below that. The rest of the chrome was actually pretty decent with minor pitting at best.

He said he's been told that fully restored the cars can bring upwards of $150K, but also conceded one might spend near that much just getting a car to that level. I get the feeling he'd move SOME on his price for the "right" buyer, but not certain it would be enough for one of limited resources as myself.

Any more feedback/advice/encouragement or warning(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Aaron
    Aaron Courteau

Aaron, all Mark II's start in neutral.
    Nick DeSpirito
    Wayne,NJ

C56C2453
    Two-Tone
    11/14-1B6L-119

Interesting! Especially for such a heavy car.

Cheers!
    Aaron Courteau

Just an FYI - that chrome bar at the front of the hood is a HARD part (actually 2 parts) to find. The letters are common and reproduced. The bad paint job can cover a multitude of sins but I think you got that...
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH. The pleasure of bringing it back will soon be replaced with remorse and financial morass. I speak not as a Mark II owner or expert but have had many Lincolns and seen many Lincolns and there are enough Marks around that are decent that nobody should have to resurrect one of these derelicts. Shoot it!
    Charlie Berry