Thread: 1956 Continental Mark II for sale

Default 1956 Continental Mark II for sale

Continental Mark II FOR SALE. Located in Rochester, NY. Same family ownership since purchased new in 1955. Unrestored & in Great Running condition. Present mileage is 17,330. Never wrecked nor repainted. Recently replaced fuel pump, water pump and carburetor with rebuilt original numbers matching parts. Has original engine and drivetrain. Gas tank recently removed, cleaned internally and repainted. Always garaged except when driven. Includes original owner's manual, spare tire & jack. Viewing by appointment. $99,000. Believed to be one of the lowest and possibly the lowest mileage original non-restored Mark II in existence. Contact: T.K. Oates, II at tkoatesii@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Theodore Oates

Hey guys, new member here located in Ohio. I'm a long time Thunderbird collector who has long admired and coveted a Mark II. Survivor cars are also my hot button. I really like this car (the price is scaring me). I wonder if any of the mark experts would mind weighing in on the presentation of this car to help my education. Just looking for honest thoughts / advice on this one. Thanks.

Bill in Ohio
    Bill Guntsch

I believe this car is #1657.
    Our Registry for this car is at the following link:
    http://www.markiiforum.com/showthrea...ates#post18698
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

I have only been a Mark II owner for about 9 months so I am definitely not an expert. However, I have read as much as I can about these cars, bought every book available, inspected several Mark II cars, and have done quite a bit of mechanical work on mine.

Obviously, a car like this needs a very thorough inspection. Condition is everything, regardless of mileage and ownership. The car looks very nice in the photos but photos can be very misleading even if you have dozens of them. The underside and body need to be examined carefully for rust. Most mechanical issues are relatively inexpensive to fix compared to rust, body and paint issues.

The engine compartment looks a bit off in a couple of areas. For example, it looks like the valve covers are painted black unless the photo is misleading. Not a big deal but it is an indication that someone has been working in the engine compartment that did not care about originality.

If you intend to keep it in "survivor" condition and the paint, interior, chrome, glass, body and underside are in good to excellent condition, the price might be a little high (in my opinion) but I expect it would be hard to find a similar car (assuming the provenance and mileage is as stated). Most of the Mark IIs that are for sale tend to be $30K-$50K drivers quality or fully restored Pebble Beach type of cars in the $150K-$300K range. I have only been watching Mark IIs for about 1.5 years but I don't recall seeing any low mileage, unmolested cars that appeared to be in excellent condition.

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Maserati Gran Turismo drophead
    2015 Lincoln MKT

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lld For This Useful Post:

jdsnoddy (02-27-2017)

Larry:
    Very well said. Thanks for this reply.
    For that type of money, I would buy a factory air conditioned car.
    I have not personally viewed the car, but, that asking price demands a "no excuse" car.
    John
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 02-27-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    John Snoddy

OhioBill,

Form member Ken r examined 1657 and reported his experience. Type 1657 in the search box, read the thread "1657 Rochester New York" and you should find Ken's post. Good Luck,
    Rick Bone

Bill, ask yourself what kind of Mark II you want. If you want a "driver" then I think you should look around. There are a few out there. As Larry says, 30-50K should get you a nice driver. If you're willing to work on the car yourself, or you have a good local shop, you can pay less and then fix it up to make it a driver.

About 1657: I don't think this is a driver. Ken Richardson looked at it and said "I would highly recommend this one to anyone searching for an extremely low mileage original, and is willing to pay for that." I'm not an expert but it seems to me that it could be made "correct" for not too much more. I've looked closely at one Mark II in this price range and it's impressive.

Peter

For that kind of money I would expect the engine compartment to look as good as the rest of the car, it needs a lot of attention.
    C56-91291,
    1952 Ford F-1 Pick-up,
    1962 Chevrolet Impala 427,
    1973 Harley-Davidson FL

I have an original, mostly unrestored, low mileage (50K) Mark II and I agree that the engine compartment need attention. I think the price is very aggressive for a car that is not "show worthy" day one.

It does have a great color combination though and if it doesn't require a great amount of other work than maybe a deal can be struck.
    Brian Mc Evilly
    C56E2897