Thread: 1657 Rochester New York

Default 1657 Rochester New York

My Mark II was custom ordered by my father , Max O. Oates ,in the fall of 1955 and delivered to him in Dec. 1955. The VIN is C56A1657. In the registry his name is incorrectly spelled as Oases. The selling dealer is incorrectly listed in the registry as Anthony Wayne Motors Inc. The correct name of the selling dealer was Antietam Motors in Hagerstown, MD. It is listed in the registry as chassis number 686. The build code is A which would be correct based on it's delivery date to my father of early Dec. 1955. ( Approximately Dec.9 and the first registration date of Dec. 14, 1955.
    I am listed in the Mark II Forum as ASO. I live in Rochester , NY where the car is stored. It has 17330 miles on the odometer which is accurate.
    I am available through the Mark II Forum website to provide any more information about this vehicle. Pictures are posted on my introduction as a new member.
    T.K. Oates,II.
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 10-15-2016 at 05:32 AM.
    Theodore Oates

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ASO For This Useful Post:

Joseph Stebbins (09-20-2016)

Default 1657 Rochester New York

I met with Ken Richardsen yesterday and today who told me that subtracting 982 from the VIN should yield the block number. My VIN is 1657. That should yield 675 but the block number on my car is 674.
    Any comments from other members. I do know that the engine in my car is the original and has never been out of the car
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 10-15-2016 at 05:27 AM.
    Theodore Oates

Quote Originally Posted by ASO View Post
    I met with Ken Richardsen yesterday and today who told me that subtracting 982 from the VIN should yield the block number. My VIN is 1657. That should yield 675 but the block number on my car is 674.
    Any comments from other members. I do know that the engine in my car is the original and has never been out of the car
    The 892 is a rule-of-thumb and is not cut in granite. Sometimes they were out of order. 1658, the car made immediately after yours, had engine number 676 (which fits the 892 "rule") we don't know which engine 1656 had. I believe 674 is your car's original engine.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Marshall For This Useful Post:

jdsnoddy (10-15-2016)

1657 F/S Hemmings Rochester, NY $99,000
    The following is taken from the link below:
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...l#&gid=1&pid=4
    VIN #: C56A1657
    Transmission: Auto
    Condition: Excellent
    Exterior: Black
    Interior: Gray - 2-tone leather

Seller’s Description:

Lincoln 1956 Continental Mark II
    Odometer reads 17,333 original miles. Believed to be one of the lowest mileage, original Continental Mark II's in existence.
    Unrestored survivor; same family ownership since purchased in 1955.
    Completely original with a rebuilt correct brake master cylinder, correct original rebuilt water pump, fuel pump & carburetor. The only modified part of which I am aware is that the fuel lines were replaced with copper tubing.
    Comes with original owner's manual in original envelope in glove compartment; original jack & original spare tire in trunk.
    Never involved in an accident. Never repainted. Continuously garaged except when driven.
    Viewing by appointment only. Buyer responsible for all moving costs.
    John Snoddy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jdsnoddy For This Useful Post:

rickswrecks (10-19-2016)

That's a nice car.
    Russell Chilton

I travelled to Rochester to view, examine and drive this Mark, which did not disappoint me. The son (who is a retired surgeon) of the late original owner is understandably fond and proud of this totally original survivor, as he vividly remembers his dad bringing it home brand new in Dec 1955. I am still quite interested in this Mark even though last week I completed the purchase of #3572 and received delivery today. Quality repaint and re upholstery of front seat are a couple of the reasons I chose #3572, along with the sale price being well under 50%. The owner of #1657 is a delightful gentleman who I found to be completely honest about all aspects of the car. I would highly recommend this one to anyone searching for an extremely low mileage original, and is willing to pay for that.
    Ken Richardson

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken r For This Useful Post:

jdsnoddy (10-20-2016), rickswrecks (10-20-2016)