Thread: Ken r. greetings to Forum

Default Ken r. greetings to Forum

Greetings from Moosehead Lake,

I'm Ken Richardson and reside in Florida/N.C./Maine and the Lincolns I have formerly enjoyed were: a 60 Mark V sedan, 2- 64 sedans, a 66 convertible and a 74 coupe. After decades of admiring Mark II's, and 6 weeks of intense investigation, I have arranged to buy #3572 (the Gray one DSO'd with blackwalls) that is presently in Virginia. I'm personally inspecting this car just prior to purchase in early October and am wondering if any Forum members have inspected this Mark and would care to share their assessment?

This car was "drained of all fluids" for some years while in a museum in Branson, Missouri which concerns me, along with it seeming to have been driven only about 100 miles since recommissioning 6 years ago.
    Thoughts from the Forum about this, along with pointers for my personal inspection of this unique frame, and any other inspection suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking forward to hopefully being a beneficial member of the Forum, after being a "silent" observer of many informative and helpful posts over the past 6 weeks. Thanks to each of you, especially Larry who went out of his way to be helpful.

With best regards, Ken r.
    Ken Richardson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ken r For This Useful Post:

rickswrecks (09-09-2016)

Welcome to the group. I am a native of Dexter, Maine which you will likely pass through on your way South, currently reside in Naples, FL. If you are in this area of Florida please let's meet for coffee. I am a long-time Lincoln enthusiast (over 50 years) though not currently a MArk II owner.

Charlie Berry
    Charlie Berry

Thanks for welcome and invite for coffee, Charlie. I will not be at my home in North Florida until Thanksgiving, but would like to meet you in later Winter when I come to your area about selling some lots on the Caloosahatchee River. Meanwhile, do you have any thoughts on my inspection of the Mark that had "all fluids drained" for the years it was in 57 Heaven Museum?

Ken Richardson
    Ken Richardson

Assuming the car was in good nick when put on display at the museum the problems I thing you will have is with all the seals and gaskets shrinking and causing leaks. This includes the brakes. I would check out the backs of the tires and look to see if you see any fluid but count on re doing the wheel cylinders and possibly the booster. The engine and transmission will usually seal themselves if the car is exercised regularly so if there are some drips and what not I would keep the fluid levels at the correct levels for a season and see if they clear up with some use. The radiator and water pump may be an issue and the of course check everything rubber. Take some pics and post them!
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Stebbins For This Useful Post:

Ken r (09-19-2016)

Joseph's thoughts are greatly appreciated about "all fluids drained" for #3572. I'm pleased to hear from seller that all items he mentions, plus a fewradiator, water pump,wheel cylinders & lines, master booster,carb,gas tank,vacuum lines, fuel pump, generator,voltage reg, PS hoses) have all been replaced/rebuilt since Auction. There is still a small leak from frt trans seal after pan gasket was replaced, which MIGHT improve with more use, as Joseph suggests.(Replacing it seems to require pulling engine). #3572 has been regularly exercised (at least once a month) over the past 6 years, is the report.
    Ken Richardson

Ken:

Let me know when you are coming. I am a licensed Realtor with John R. Wood Properties and I am sure our Fort Myers office has some knowledge base on your type of lots, perhaps we can help you with that.

You might google www.revsinstitute.org. This is the Collier Collection and for at least the foreseeable future will be residence to the Mexican Road Race Lincoln which we had at the 4-way Lincoln Meet this summer. It is a museum not to be missed by the serious collector Or not so serious. Just magnificent.
    Charlie Berry

Sorry I have no experience with bringing a car out of long storage but can provide you with a couple references if you like. Let me know.

Charlie Berry
    Charlie Berry

Charlie,
    I notice in a post that you have some service bulletins available and am wondering if you, or other Forum members, know where I might get a copy of "ASK BUDDY? A RESTORERS GUIDE TO THE MARK II" by Buddy E. Holliday? I took delivery of 3572 last week and still look forward to coffee with you this Winter near Naples.
    Regards, Ken
    Ken Richardson

Ken:
    Here is a copy for about $95.00
    http://www.abebooks.com/Problems-Ask.../9078229939/bd
    John Snoddy

or you can just look here if you don't need a hard copy:

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthrea...(Buddy-s-Book)
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Stebbins For This Useful Post:

jdsnoddy (10-27-2016)