Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you find the Mark II or did it find you?

markd Guest

Default Did you find the Mark II or did it find you?

Now that I've found myself up to my ears in Mark II research, owner of [the absolute sight for sore eyes] 3737 and in the midst of an epic parts search, it's got me thinking...

Did you find your Mark II, or did it find you?

I wasn't specifically looking for one, but after missing out on a white '56 in Mass last summer which I found while casually searching Craigslist for any classic cars, I started paying more attention to the Mark II. Then low and behold the jalopy known as 3737 reared its ugly head for a second time on craigslist but now with a much better price, I had to pull the trigger on it.

So, to answer my question: My Mark II found me, but so far I'm very happy it did despite the inevitable gaping hole in my pocket.

3340 found me when someone was showing me pictures on his phone of a 66 convertible he wanted me to buy. He scrolled back too far and I said "Hey what about that one!" Sounding slightly less whiney than Luke Skywalker...

I went to see it and the rest is history. The water pump is a story for another day...
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

Default 56 found me!

DROVE home 2042 today! I've got some work ahead of me but I am getting more excited every second. It's moldy, rumbles and has no wipers (Portland Oregon) but no longer will the car sit outside and deteriorate.
    Daniel Foster

Quote Originally Posted by danfoster View Post
    DROVE home 2042 today! I've got some work ahead of me but I am getting more excited every second. It's moldy, rumbles and has no wipers (Portland Oregon) but no longer will the car sit outside and deteriorate.
    Good for you. Post pics when you get a chance. We all love pics.
    Russell Chilton

I've had my Mark II since the early 1980's. Each day I would look at the Cars For Sale Section in my local newspaper (remember those?). Being a car fan, every once in a while, an odd vehicle would show up. Buried in an ad for a 1975 Mustang II, the last four words in the ad read "also 56 Mark II". I called the number and found out the location was less than two miles from where I lived. The person claimed to be selling the car for his brother-in-law. Upon arrival, it was very clear the guy knew nothing about the car. Frankly, I did not know nearly as much about Mark IIs then as I know now. He wanted some outlandish price for it. I countered with a much, much lower price. He said he would have to check with his brother-in-law, but said he did not think he would take my offer. He guessed wrong. I've had the car ever since.
    Howard Hanchett
    1956 Continental Mark II C5691376

John Herrell Guest

My story is not much older than Mark's. Rather suddenly last fall I realized that actually owning one of these beauties was within my reach (adored from afar since '56). This one involved a bunch of luck / fate. My buddy Spike (hangs here sometimes) loved my pursuit of a mid-50s car and joined the hunt. He was talking in my behalf to a dealer in St. Louis who had '56 on the lot. Red with a white top. Not meaning to offend anyone here but for me that's great for a '56 TBird but NOT for a Mark II. My bud mentioned I wanted a driver; I wanted one I could hop in and drive across the country. Dealer mentioned one that had just arrived on the lot. Cherry. Ready to ride. I spent a bit over a week doing due diligence and made a (I think) lowball offer the day they were putting it on the market. Deal done! (She definitely found me!) 4k miles bringin' 'er home and about to put on 2k more.
    Last edited by John Herrell; 01-23-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typo

markd Guest

all very cool stories. thanks for sharing.

Default Found me

My father had a number of cars when they decided to downsize and move. I volunteered to care for any orphans, but I guess he felt I had enough with 7 cars already. The Mark II ended up at my sisters along with a 66 Continental Convertible. After visiting her and getting both running, they must have felt I was interested and when I got married, they shipped the Mark II to me as a wedding present. I'm headed back to her place in a couple weeks to see if I can sweet talk her into sending me the 66 as well.
    Ben Kline
    Bloomingdale, NY
    1956 Continental Mark II C56G3133
    1961 MG Midget
    1987 Corvette Convertible
    1992 BMW K75S

Quote Originally Posted by SLK View Post
    My father had a number of cars when they decided to downsize and move. I volunteered to care for any orphans, but I guess he felt I had enough with 7 cars already. The Mark II ended up at my sisters along with a 66 Continental Convertible. After visiting her and getting both running, they must have felt I was interested and when I got married, they shipped the Mark II to me as a wedding present. I'm headed back to her place in a couple weeks to see if I can sweet talk her into sending me the 66 as well.
    That's a great story, Ben. Thanks for sharing. Lucky You!
    Russell Chilton

PaulB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by markd View Post
    Now that I've found myself up to my ears in Mark II research, owner of [the absolute sight for sore eyes] 3737 and in the midst of an epic parts search, it's got me thinking...

Did you find your Mark II, or did it find you?

I wasn't specifically looking for one, but after missing out on a white '56 in Mass last summer which I found while casually searching Craigslist for any classic cars, I started paying more attention to the Mark II. Then low and behold the jalopy known as 3737 reared its ugly head for a second time on craigslist but now with a much better price, I had to pull the trigger on it.

So, to answer my question: My Mark II found me, but so far I'm very happy it did despite the inevitable gaping hole in my pocket.
    3737 is on CL now for $2300 https://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/d/19...341943868.html