Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Doing A Favor" Thread?

Default "Doing A Favor" Thread?

It's obvious now that with computers, smart phones, Internet, Craigslist, EBAY, etc, etc, etc, we have hugely broadened our search areas for vehicles. All vehicles, not just Mark II's! Not so long ago we would check local paper classifieds, local Autotrader type magazines, etc, and that was pretty much our limit, generally a short drive.

But now we are finding vehicles much further away, which to a certain person may be a good deal and what they have been looking for, and therefore worth the drive to get it.

The problem is it may be a long expensive drive/flight to go check out a "VERY SOLID, ALL ORIGINAL, COMPLETE" car just to find out it's mostly bondo, with bad paint and to top it off missing all the trim... Then to start the search all over again and make another road trip. Yes I'm speaking from experience.

This is a pretty close knit forum, which is the only reason I suggest this.

How about we start a "Any body in ________ Area willing to do me a favor?"

For example I might be looking at a car in Detroit, and I'm 8 hrs away. It's a pretty big gamble to load up truck and trailer, drive there to look at the bondo bucket, and come all the way home empty handed when Joe Schmoe lives 5 miles away and could've checked it out for me!!! Someone I trust and know he knows a thing or two about cars...

With that said, If anyone here wants something looked at within reason of my place in central Wisconsin, I'd be happy to check it out. Cars, motorcycles, whatever. It would give me something to do!!

And yes I am considering a car in Detroit...
    Aaron Wagner

C56K3400, C56F3067, C56C2402 (parts car)
    04 BigDog Mastiff
    02 WS6 Trans Am
    67 Buick Skylark
    66 Lincoln Continental
    55 Thunderbird

Excellent suggestion.... however I trusted a friend to look at a car and upon deliver I was sorry that I didn't use a pro as the friend blew it. I expected too much from him. But the members of this forum are really up on our car so results should be better.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

I think, if used properly, an inspection by the average forum member could offer good information to learn if a trip for a personal inspection is worth going on. Most folks today have phones that can take good pictures and send them to the prospective buyer. If we were to prepare a check list of things to look at and for and post it here where one could download and print it out to have while doing an inspection for another forum member that would help too.

I like the idea and would be willing to help others to the best of my ability.
    Matt Cashion
    C56C2524

Default Good idea

I like the idea of "do me a favor local inspections." If ever I can assist, please count me in.

John Snoddy
    Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387
    John Snoddy

Count me in on the Gulf Coast!
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

As for Shelly's example, I personally would have a hard time buying something sight unseen, no matter how good my source was! I was thinking more towards Matt's example that "Yes it's probably is worth your time to come check it out", or "I wouldn't waste your time-".
    Aaron Wagner

C56K3400, C56F3067, C56C2402 (parts car)
    04 BigDog Mastiff
    02 WS6 Trans Am
    67 Buick Skylark
    66 Lincoln Continental
    55 Thunderbird

I'd like to help around the Calgary area.
    Sean Rollins

C56C2591

my name is Joe Lowe not Joe schmo. count me in.
    Joe Lowe
    C5601605

Yeah, don't call Joe Schmo, he's friends with Chuck Schmuck and they're just not reliable. But I could help out in Central Texas.
    Russell Chilton

I also like the idea of a check list, especially pictures and on site phone conversations. Most of us who have Mark ii's know what is really important to look for. I'm in northern Ohio and would help in any way I can.