Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3811 begins her new life

John Herrell Guest

Default 3811 begins her new life

Hey folks, I just gotta tell you what I’m up to.

(I tried to post this from the train yesterday, but was not to be.)

As we speak, I am on the rails, rollin across Missouri from NorCal, arriving shortly in St. Louie (Louie). Tomorrow morning, I take possession of (and set eyes on, for the first time) my Dream Machine ™, #3811.

I said recently in my intro that I fell in love with this model 59 years ago. I knew then and have known ever since that what I saw before me was the most elegant automobile ever manufactured. I just never ever imagined one might be in my future. But now it is.

Tomorrow I turn around and, with my most elegant “new” Pride and Joy, start working my west. Of course, back to NorCal is too straightforward (for me). Oh no. I have to head first to The PacificNorthWet. I’ll get ‘er home, but not directly.

So stay tuned and I’ll check in along the way. (And wish me a little luck if you’re so inclined.)

Addendum:

The dealer is still attending to a few outstanding issues, most notably wipers. The car should be ready to roll out of the lot in a couple of hours or so for point west (far west).

Bob Barger Guest

Takes me back to when I picked up my car in (I think)82. I had my wife and 2 small kids with me when we picked it up in Long Beach CA. We drove it home to Edmonton, Alberta with 1 overnight stop. It was a 1500 mile trip and we did it mostly on faith cause I had not seen the car in over 12 years. It was an eventful trip. Have fun and congratulations on getting your dream car. Post some pictures as soon as you can.

Peter Baumgardt Guest

Congratulations, John. I hope you did not pay much more than on Sept.4th, when she was sold in Auburn, IN.
    Looks really great, everything seems to be correct.
    http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...ing=&category=

John Herrell Guest

Bob: This trip is going to be around 3,000 before I'm done. *Lots* of faith involved, but it has had a good going over. Was up in Edmonton myself last year, but that was on my Harley. Will see about some pix (but you all know what it looks like <seg>).

John Herrell Guest

Peter: I did pay more than they did, but I think it's in the ballpark for a *very* sweet car. Exterior is really excellent and nothing wrong with the interior, just some very sweet patina. Seems to be at the low end of pricing for one of this condition. (And all a bit subjective, ultimately.)

Every car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If you're as pleased with your car as your posts suggest, you got a bargain. Have a great trip home and let us ride along vicariously--post pictures as you go.
    Pete Hoffman
    C5691209

tbadgley Guest

Enjoy! Sounds like a romantic trip.

Congrats and welcome to the Mark II family. Looks like a beautiful automobile
    Nick DeSpirito
    Wayne,NJ

C56C2453
    Two-Tone
    11/14-1B6L-119

John Herrell Guest

Tim, Hopefully so (romantic). I'm esp looking forward to the ride down the Pacific Coast after picking up my wife in Olympia. Thanks.

John Herrell Guest

Default Pre-trip observations

Before I made an offer, I had a local mechanic take the car for a good once-over (probly more than that). It got a pretty good bill of health, esp once he:
    Replaced a wide open thermostat;
    Did other repairs to the heater so it would function;
    Replaced a non-op w/w mechanism with the electric conversion kit (something I was planning on after the trip);
    Said he to me: The plugs and wires look very very old.
    Said me to he: Replace them!
    He also commented: the tach is bouncing all over the place. To which I thought, a) I can live without it for the trip, and b) ha ha! a likely cause is a bad spark plug wire!

Ha Ha indeed. After he replaced the wires, the tach works perfectly!

The handful of remaining "issues" are absolutely trivial:
    2 dead dash lights, those being the left turn indicator and the bulb between the clock and the tach (best one to lose);
    Driver door switch for the dome light (haven't looked at it);
    And the radio. Here's a question: Does it have a conventional on/off on the volume switch (in which case mine's kaput, because there's no on/off on it). Or is there a secret on/off sw I haven't found, in which case maybe the radio works. If it's broken, I presume there's some recondition / exchange somewhere.

That is the sum total of what's the least bit wrong with this car. And I am one very happy camper!