Thread: Exact location of casting marks?

JohnMc Guest

Default Exact location of casting marks?

Guys, I have a 1956 Premiere 368 that I'm trying to identify the year of and since the trans has been changed from original, I'd like to check out the engine.
    Anyone know the exact location on this motor? I'm looking for the letters ECU to confirm it's for a 56-57 Lincoln. Some books say the letters are above the oil filter boss. I don't see anything there. Possibly near the distributor??? Thanks in advance.

Did you look on both sides of the block. Seems to me there is a casting number right beside or in the area of the distributor. This was sometimes confused with the actual engine number assigned to the engine when the car was built. I used to know where they were including the cylinder head casting number when I was looking for the number for the 57 cylinder head to determine if my very late 56 may of had 57 heads on it when the car was manufactured. These numbers are on the side of the head near the exhaust manifold.
    If your engine is not an ECU the info found here could help

http://ford-y-block.com/lincoln.htm

I will keep looking through my bookmarks etc. for this location info because I know I used to have it.

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthrea...numbers&page=2
    After reading this I would say it is up on top by the distributor.

JohnMc Guest

Thanks guys, I think I did find them, but they were ground off! They were next to the DIF initials. So now I need to determine where to go from here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And your cylinder heads? What secrets are revealed there? Who knows perhaps you may even have an older one stuck in there. 317, 341? It's surprising the casting number is totally ground off. As for deciding where to go next? If possible take a sparkplug out and if possible?? use a caliper or a thin long shafted screwdriver like a Philips and carefully measure the stroke. Only the 302,332 and the 368 had a 3.66 inch stroke. Turn your engine to TDC ( top dead center) and then slowly rotate to bottom and see what you get.
    Last edited by Don Henschel; 11-06-2015 at 10:16 AM.