Thread: Paint Mixing Formulas

CMii Guest

Default Paint Mixing Formulas

Have a Code 15, medium blue poly, and a Code 16, medium blue poly, aka Lucite green. Unable to get a proper mix from PPG and Dupont. Anyone have a formula or color code from a paint manufacturer.

CMii Guest

Code 16 should read Medium Gren Poly.

There are paint suppliers that can shoot it with a lazer and get a "perfect" match which should blend in with the rest of the car... otherwise if that's not to your satisfaction you'll have to strip and repaint the entire car.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

CMii Guest

Both vehicles are complete restorations, strip and repaint. Had the color shot with the lazer under the hood where the paint was not exposed to uv fading. Neither mix was close to matching by PPG or Dupont rep.

goob Guest

Never rule out 'operator error'...try a different paint store...have you tried a Sikkens auto paint jobber? After more than 4 1/2 decades in the business, Sikkens or Akzo Nobel, as they may be called, are 'the best' paints and coatings I have ever used! Quintin's Paint & Body in Leesville advertises Sikkens coatings and LKQ in Alexandria may carry it or be able to get it for you. Sikkens certainly has the very best color matching process I have ever used. Its worth a couple phone calls...

Gary

I had a computer match done using engine firewall (after a light compound) as basis. However, paint shop had to do a couple of manual tweaks before I was satisfied with the light blue match.

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Bentley GTC
    2015 Lincoln MKT

billpatton Guest

Were you ever successful in your color search? I'm changing the color on my Continental to Medium Blue and searching for a formula, too.

billpatton Guest

Were you ever successful finding the medium blue paint formula?

billpatton Guest

color changing my light blue to medium blue. Did you ever find a color formula? Thanks, Bill Patton

I have had body shop owners mention those so called scanners for paint match are questionable especially with metalic paint. By far the best scanner is looking out of your face unless you are color blind lol. Florescent lights are by far the worst for comparing under as well and direct sunlight is best. When I had mine repainted we used paint chips and also looking at cars and trucks led me to find perfect matches. The deep green on mine is identical to what Chrysler used including GM. I was never into changing paint colors and due to procrastination and most colors not bothering me I usually just elect to paint to original color. Over the years I always seemed to end up with green cars and as it ended up my Mark was two tone green. One lousy magazine article I read mentioned they were never two tone which is total BS combined with a glitch on my VIN indicating only one color but my dealer invoice showed it was ordered two tone. Now the question I have is mine is not classified as DSO but given this why is it not DSO if only 68 were?
    C56K3391
    Two-Tone 05/16
    1950 Mercury Sedan