Thread: Russo and Steele Monterey

Default Russo and Steele Monterey

So there is a Mark II getting the big buzz at Monterey this week. Its at Russo and Steele S621. They have 2 of them there but this one is outrageous. A pre-production show car!!! How often do those come up??!!! The other one is pretty run of the mill like many others - not all original like S621. This one should sell well into 6 figures they say. Interesting car and story. There are several cars out there but the detail, documentation and history of this car is impressive. I always loved these cars and wanted to own the right one and this could be it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

And the seat-bolsters have the wrong color.
    Peter Baumgardt

There shouldn't be any seams on the bottom seat bolster. Makes me wonder what else was done incorrectly.
    Last edited by linc64; 08-13-2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added picture
    Jim Ayres

Default 1079

This is chassis 1079. Original interior was red biscuits with gray bolsters. It's owned by a Forum member
    Ralph Messina
    Bridgewater, NJ

Brian Mc Evilly
    C56E2897

Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's my understanding that the original leather on the seats were full hides and there were no seams on the bolsters running diagonally from the biscuits. This interior has the seams, yet according to the description it says, "With only 42,000 ACTUAL miles and finished in original color Black, this Rare Mark II still maintains its original ultra-rare Scottish leather interior which still smells just like the new car it was 60 years ago."

Comments?
    Jim Ayres

Sounds like an infomercial.
    Rick Bone

Jim, there are no seams on the Mark II bolsters. That's why if takes so many hides to redo one. The bolsters on that build were grey.

I think the description is incorrect. I don't know how they get away with it.

here's the link to the info we have on the car.

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthrea...highlight=1079
    Nick DeSpirito
    Wayne,NJ

C56C2453
    Two-Tone
    11/14-1B6L-119

Sold in Monterey for $75,900 (premium incl.). Too much for a "changed" Mark II.
    Peter Baumgardt

Default 1079's "Original" Interior

The history for 1079 has been updated. Nick's link above still works.

Although this car's engine compartment has undergone a lot of detailing and looks really good. I found at least 6 deviations from authenticity.

Also, it was pointed out in this thread that the interior was not original because the original interior was red and gray, plus this car had quarter seamed bolsters.

The original interior for this car had a lot more gray than just the bolsters. Here are the original gray specifications for the 1F4M interior:

MEDIUM GRAY LEATHER
    Seat bolsters and rear seat center armrest
    Skirt panels below welting on front and rear seat cushions
    Shell around front seatback
    Shield at end of front seat cushion
    Outer pivot arms of the front seatback frame
    Strap over the center pivots of the front seatback frame
    Dash covering, instrument cluster hood, kick panels, panels on firewall below glove box and by steering column
    Door/quarter armrests and door/quarter window garnish mouldings
    Windshield garnish mouldings (upper and lower), windshield posts, sun visors, side window upper garnish mouldings (next to headlining), panel between quarter window and rear window (including small biscuit panel and trim buttons), and back window garnish moulding
    Trim between rear seatback and package shelf, and edging of air return grille on package shelf of air conditioned cars

MEDIUM GRAY BROADCLOTH
    Headlining

MEDIUM GRAY PLASTIC
    Steering wheel, inside door knobs, shift & turn signal lever knobs

MEDIUM GRAY SATIN PAINT (MATCH THE LEATHER DASH IN COLOR AND GLOSS)
    Lower dash, dash panels, glove box, console, radio speaker grille frame, screws and washers on instrument hood, steering column (including rubber grommet at firewall), part of the horn ring spokes and hub, brake pedal arm, round air vent outlets in kick panels, package shelf covering, and package shelf air return grille on air-conditioned cars
    Vertical metal panel and metal bottom of hand pull recess in arm rest and front ash tray lamp access plate, unless chrome plated

The 2nd picture below is of a 6F4M interior (Broadcloth Biscuits). I don't have a good photo of a 1F4M (Leather Biscuits) so I submit this to illustrate how the original interior coloration of an xF4M interior should appear.

Regarding the Introductory Unit comments in the auction description: There was nothing rare or special about the introductory units. They were sent out to fill the pipeline so that the dealers had something to show customers and they were sent out for sales/marketing purposes.
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 08-23-2015 at 07:51 AM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH