Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3864 Actress Martha Hyer

It would have helped if it had been one of the DSO Black on Black ones, of which a few were in Los Angeles, but I can see the light insert on the door panel. Hopefully we will track it down.

FWIW .. Hal B. Wallis in the Mid 1950s was no longer a Warner Bros producer... from 1944 on he produced independently and released his films through Paramount. Interestingly, Wallis produced many Elvis films starting with "Loving You" released in 1957. Is it possible that they both purchased their Mark IIs from the same dealer?
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

A few comments re: above comments.

There were 800 Black Mark IIs (source MKIIE)

Because of the light (white) door biscuits, the car interior was probably 1P6N (Black Bolsters, White Biscuits, Black Welts). There were a lot of them especially in the LA area. (Martha seemed like an elegant formal type of woman who would have chosen such an exterior/interior combination)

Elvis purchased his Mark II in Miami, Florida.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

I'm throwing this thought out there. Perhaps the car in the drive was not hers. Could have a been an assigned studio unit, somewhat doubtful considering the fact she was not an "A" list star, but possible. Contract stars were sometimes given perks. The vehicle could also have belonged to a guest at the time of the photo shoot. Maybe the car was "planted" there to give the shoot more realism. Just some thoughts as to why there is no info tying her to the Mark.
    Howard Hanchett
    1956 Continental Mark II C5691376

Howard-

Good thinking. All of that is absolutely a possibility.
    Russell Chilton

The article about her does say: "...At 8:15 PM on the evening of Saturday, November 1, 1959, the elegantly gowned Hyer departed 8688 Hollywood Boulevard to attend a party being thrown by Merle Oberon. No sooner had the red tail lights of her Lincoln Continental disappeared into the night an unseen intruder or intruders forced their way into the home through the kitchen window and went to work..."
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Shawn Newcomb Guest

More than I ever cared to know about the woman but apparently in addition to several married names she had at least one alias, many wealthy beaus who had gifted at least 1 car in the past. Most pertinent entry to this discussion might be March 1958.

http://www.glamourgirlsofthesilversc...yer/index.html
    Last edited by Shawn Newcomb; 07-19-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling. I hate auto correct

Specifically the article says:

October 57 ...columnist Harrison Carroll tells: "...The most exciting thing in her life right now, she says, is the prospect of moving into her new house when she finishes Houseboat at Paramount."

March 58 Universal-International buys her a fine new house, furnishes it lavishly, and comes across with an elegant new car

4 May 59 Life magazine gives her lifestyle a ten-page photographic layout. Soon after the spread, her home is robbed while she's attending a party at the home of actress Merle Oberon.

I believe that the pictures that we have of her with a Mark II, were from that 1959 Life Magazine article about her.

If that's the car that Universal bought her, it would have to be a very late '57, probably with a Trim Code of 01-1B11N.

3864 is the Mark II ever made that matches those specifications. It was ordered new by a Houston Dealer in April 1957, customer, Ray A. Wilson was listed on the invoice. There is no subsequent ownership history.

Stitching it together. Assume that the Mark II was her favorite car and that during 1957 Universal was building a house for her, intended to give her a Mark II along with the house, and her interior of choice was Black with White biscuits. Then the only Mark II ever made with those specs (a DSO) was available during that period, and as stated above, was headed for Houston.

Maybe Universal made a deal for the car.
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 07-19-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Good detective work Pat. I'm wondering if late '57s sold in early '58 were being pushed out the door with heavy discounting given the car becoming an orphan.

Back to Martha... that car heading for Houston.... Martha was a Texas gal from Ft Worth/Dallas and according to that website was visiting with family in Texas in Feb '58 one month before the house and car item.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

The car was delivered to the dealer in April 1957 (the last 57 was delivered in May). I'm thinking there weren't many (if any) 57s at dealerships in 1958.

Since her house was so architectually significant I believe it was probably under design and construction for much of 1957. So I think the studios acquiring a one of a kind mark II in April/may 1957 may have reasonably fit within the time-space continuum window.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH