Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2815 Recent purcahse of a mark ii have a few questions

I've removed the hood on my car. IMO, you cannot align the hinges off the car.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Make sure to check the hood itself for stress cracking. If the hood hinges are too worn they will cause stresses at the attachment point - think of the moment arm of that hood back to the mounting point.

I had to have mine repaired and reinforced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

I see someone used the 1/8" drilled hole alignment trick.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    I see someone used the 1/8" drilled hole alignment trick.
    We stole it from your post! It will get us close but as the hinges had worn so much we are not sure how it will end up. Now given that the rest of the clip is sitting on horses being worked on there is going to be a bit of aligning to do anyway...
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

Wouldn't you agree that it's impossible to actually do any alignment without putting the hinges on the car first?
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    Wouldn't you agree that it's impossible to actually do any alignment without putting the hinges on the car first?
    I don't see how you could do it any other way. I can't fathom holding the hood in the air while you try and bolt the hinges to the firewall. A couple of those bolts are a PIA with all the stuff in the way and just the dead weight of the hinges themselves.
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

Bob Barger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vapoli View Post
    I was told by the guy who has redoes the hinges that basically the hinges get out of whack, and they need to be redrilled. to proper align them.
    The pin holes wear out of round and the pins are welded in, they (pins) have to be removed, the holes welded up and re-drilled and then the pins are welded back in place. You may want to talk to a welding shop, they may be able to fix them. Otherwise, check to see if there is a restoration shop in your area. They may send you somewhere or may be able to fix them for you.

I think you misunderstand. His contact wants him to send him the hinges and the hood. I don't know that I would let anyone that hasn't done the hinges before do them as the measurements are critical and they could do more harm than good.

We haven't heard back from the OP as to why they want the hood. I truly can't imagine making a crate well enough to protect such precious cargo. I don't think I'd let it out of my site, let alone let some cartage company mishandle it. talk about more harm than good. It's not like Mark II hoods are interchangeable without some work. QC on initial fit wasn't great.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Michael,

Welcome. You'll find a wealth of help among the members.
    Would you please post a few pics of the intereior. Several cars were trimmed with pig skin but I don't recall ever seeing an interior picture.
    Ralph Messina
    Bridgewater, NJ

I can't remember details clearly, but I definitely remember there was a strict "process" to follow when re-installing and adjusting the hood and hinges, per the fellow who restored all three of our Mark II's (Jeff Brecke).

If you PM me I'd be happy to share his phone #. It might not glean anything, but it's worth a shot. I agree that shipping off the hood and hinges seems awfully "blind stab in the dark".
    Rick Schmidt