Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2815 Recent purcahse of a mark ii have a few questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vapoli Guest

I have to send the hood out to the guy in Tennessee to fix the hinges.

That doesn't sound right. However, if the bolts are stripped, or the metal is cracked that the bracket is attached to, the hood could need repair. That should be able to be handled locally, I would think.
    Last edited by Barry Wolk; 01-21-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Again, welcome to the Mark II Forum.

I have to second Barry's thought. The hood hinges of the Mark II are probably the most significantly under-thought feature on the car. There are few parts on the vehicle that are so critical to body alignment. Even the 2 versions of trunk hinges, generally are more stable. That being said, the hood is a serious piece of metal real estate.
    To properly fit the hood, one would have to have to have the car to properly work all the issues together.
    Just my $.02 having lived the dream
    Chuck Lutz :cool:
    San Mateo, CA
    2022 BMW X7
    2022 CADILLAC XT6
    1956 MKII C56C2287 15-1A1A-106-1
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible
    1957 Skyliner Retractable
    2014 Bentley Continental GTC
    2010 Dodge Challenger 5.7 HEMI R/T
    1970 Ranchero Squire 351C/4spd
    1947 CHEVORLET PICK UP
    1970 VW BUG
    Galvanized Mop Bucket on Wheels

vapoli Guest

I was told by the guy who has redoes the hinges that basically the hinges get out of whack, and they need to be redrilled. to proper align them.

I've removed the hood on my car. IMO, you cannot align the hinges off the car.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Make sure to check the hood itself for stress cracking. If the hood hinges are too worn they will cause stresses at the attachment point - think of the moment arm of that hood back to the mounting point.

I had to have mine repaired and reinforced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

I see someone used the 1/8" drilled hole alignment trick.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

I agree, my hood has just also been repaired at the hinge attachment points, there is a huge bending moment applied by the hinge springs in order to keep tht hood up. In fact the hood inner panel was pulling the spot welds out from the hood top panel, I suggest using a hood prop (stick with cloth wrapped around each end) when working on the car so as to minimise/remove these the bending forces on the hood inner skin.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Bob Barger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vapoli View Post
    I was told by the guy who has redoes the hinges that basically the hinges get out of whack, and they need to be redrilled. to proper align them.
    The pin holes wear out of round and the pins are welded in, they (pins) have to be removed, the holes welded up and re-drilled and then the pins are welded back in place. You may want to talk to a welding shop, they may be able to fix them. Otherwise, check to see if there is a restoration shop in your area. They may send you somewhere or may be able to fix them for you.

I think you misunderstand. His contact wants him to send him the hinges and the hood. I don't know that I would let anyone that hasn't done the hinges before do them as the measurements are critical and they could do more harm than good.

We haven't heard back from the OP as to why they want the hood. I truly can't imagine making a crate well enough to protect such precious cargo. I don't think I'd let it out of my site, let alone let some cartage company mishandle it. talk about more harm than good. It's not like Mark II hoods are interchangeable without some work. QC on initial fit wasn't great.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126