Thread: law suit establishing 1957 Mark ii

John West Guest

Default law suit establishing 1957 Mark ii

I understand there is a law suit that established the first 1957 Mark ii as VIN C56L3418. Where can I find this suit and its findings?
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 12-12-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Merged duplicate threads

Regading the details of this case, you'll probably find it after a good internet search. Please share the details with the Forum members.

We do have a little information which we posted in the history of car #2648 which might assist you in your search - In 1960 Johnny Mattox Company sued Ford Motor on the basis of the dealer contract which said if Ford introduced a new and "equivalent" car to the Mark II, but with a lower price then Ford would refund to the dealer the difference in the cost between the Mark II and the new "equivalent" car. This pertained to cars that the dealer had in stock when the new "equivalent" car was introduced.

Johnny Maddox Motor Company had one Mark II in stock and sued for the difference of the dealer cost for the Mark II ($8,350) and the new Mark II ($3,996).

The courts sided with Ford ruling that the Mark III was a "replacement" car, not an "equivalent" car. Court documents do not reveal if this car was the one remaining in inventory, but court recorts cited this car as one that was sold by Mattox.

I hope this helps.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

John West Guest

Default law suit establishing 1957

I am trying to find the law suit that established the first VIN of the first 1957 Mark ii. According to our site the first 1957 has a vin of C56L3418. Has this vin actually been established by law?

This is the long version of what Pat describes above.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca...=2006&as_vis=1
    Jim Ayres

John West Guest

Default law suit establishing 1957 Mark ii

I finally had a chance to read the responses to my question of the law suit that established the FIRST 1957 Mark ii. I did not read anything that established the vin of what would be considered the first 1957. Did I miss something? I know what this site lists as the first 1957 but how was that established?

Default first 1957 Continental Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by John West View Post
    I finally had a chance to read the responses to my question of the law suit that established the FIRST 1957 Mark ii. I did not read anything that established the vin of what would be considered the first 1957. Did I miss something? I know what this site lists as the first 1957 but how was that established?
    John West, did you ever find the answer to your question about the law suit to establish the first 1976 Mark II made? I have just purchased C56L4318 so am very curious to find out more since that car is mentioned in your post. I hope that you are still on this forum. John Graham
    John Graham
    C56L3418 Mark II
    1964 1/2 Mustang Convertible
    1963 Thunderbird Sports Roadster

"Johnny Maddox Motor Company had one Mark II in stock and sued for the difference of the dealer cost for the Mark II ($8,350) and the new Mark II ($3,996)."

I don't believe any Mark new Mark II ever sold for $3,996, ever. Must be a typo.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

My '57 Mark II came titled as a 1956 Lincoln Continental so I put together a PDF for the UT DMV to document that it was a 1957 Continental (not a Lincoln).
    Somewhere in this forum is this chart. I couldn't find it right off but I saved it. It shows that the L in C56L3418 stands for the production month of October (1956). It's based on page 267 of the Continental Mark II Technical Data manual (shop manual). Page 266 decodes the VIN number to explain the month code portion. I have 3446, also built in October and the original invoice shows it went to the car expo in NY where the new 57 models were being unveiled.

I have also attached the page from my PDF I created for the DMV as mentioned above that clarifies a little more about the 56/57 differentiation, but the law suit attachment in a previous post in this thread is pretty definitive.
    ProductionCodes4Dates_AllYears.jpg

PDF page 7:
    https://tluke.com/pdfs/MarkII_57andN...ntation-p7.pdf

I actually never needed the PDF. My DVM has new software that automatically spits out 1957 Continental Mark II when the VIN is put in

Terry
    Last edited by tluke; 12-26-2022 at 02:47 PM. Reason: error corrected in month
    Terry Luke
    C56L3446

55 Cadillac Series 75
    86 Ford F250