Thread: Auto Start in Neutral?

Default Auto Start in Neutral?

I happened to come across a YouTube video of a 57 Lincoln Premiere, during the presentation, the car was started by turning the key to the ON position and when the gear shift was put into neutral, the starter engaged. I had no idea that's how a 57 Lincoln started. To start my 56 Mark, I place the gear shift into neutral and turn the key. Did any Mark II start the same way as the 57 Lincoln? Here is a link to the video. The start up is about 6 minutes into the presentation.
    Howard Hanchett
    1956 Continental Mark II C5691376

I had a 1957 Lincoln back in the sixties. It started just like the Mark II. Neutral and then turn the key.

Back then, I thought the neutral safety switch was defective.

A buddy had a 1957 Ford Fairlane. His car started in Park or Neutral.
    Go figure!

Alan R. Harris
    C56D2744

joeinbcs Guest

One of the best things I did on my car was install the "Neutral Switch Conversion" that allows the car to start in Park.
    I suppose everyone knows that this is an easy upgrade, but if anybody doesn't know about it, its definitely worth doing and cheap.

Bob Barger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by joeinbcs View Post
    One of the best things I did on my car was install the "Neutral Switch Conversion" that allows the car to start in Park.
    I suppose everyone knows that this is an easy upgrade, but if anybody doesn't know about it, its definitely worth doing and cheap.
    This is a really good idea, I live on a hill and prefer to start my car in park. Jack used to sell a simple kit for this (and maybe still does) and it is an easy install. Next time I have my car up in the air I will take a picture.

I chose not to because starting in neutral encourages the use of my ebrake. The lack of use for 50 years caused the cables to seize the first time I pulled on the handle. Im just glad I restrained myself and waited to test them when I had the drums off for inspection.
    Sean Rollins

C56C2591

Bob Barger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Rollins View Post
    I chose not to because starting in neutral encourages the use of my ebrake. The lack of use for 50 years caused the cables to seize the first time I pulled on the handle. Im just glad I restrained myself and waited to test them when I had the drums off for inspection.
    I recall during the time we spent in Edmonton that if we set the parking brake in the winter it froze in place. That was a lot of fun.