Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doris Day with a Mark II, from H.A.M.B.

An odd man died yesterday. He left a legacy of humor and art.

This is entitled "Two Birds Watching Doris Day's Cat and Dog Drown".

Here's a slideshow of his other work. We have the painting "A New Member". It's third or fourth in the slideshow.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/...aBcabDZ2hMq.01
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

scottsdalesean Guest

Smile Doris Day's Lincoln

Hi Folks!
    I stumbled on your great Lincoln forum last night when I was Googling around for some photos of Doris Day's former Beverly Hills home. Specifically I was looking for an Architectural Digest retrospective of the piece they did of the house in the mid 1950's. The reason I'm writing is because I believe this article (which is not available anywhere online-- however the April 2000 issue is readily available for purchase) will once and for all solve the mystery about Doris owning a Lincoln. Although I haven't seen the article in several years (I do own a copy of this issue which is MIA somewhere in this house!) I can without a doubt recall there is a Lincoln Mark prominently featured in a photo of the front of the house. As my "color memory" always plays tricks on me, I couldn't swear to it, but I think it was white. In any case, if I can locate this issue I will happily scan and post it! It's a great piece-- car aside-- about her beautifully decorated home on North Crescent which she owned from 1955 until about 2007. However she did not live at the property since the 1980's, when she permanently relocated to Carmel. As a briefly former realtor in Los Angeles and tremendous Doris fan, I was able to see the house several years before she sold it-- when it was in between leases. Although modest by today's Beverly Hills standards, it occupies a double lot and is a very elegant low-slung contemporary which (thank God) the present owners have beautifully preserved. Unfortunately it is commonplace for houses like this to be purchased and bulldozed to make way for garish, ugly mega-mansions. Her previous house still appears as though that mystery Lincoln would still look perfectly at home parked in the semi-circular drive out front!
    ---Sean Bagley

Default MKII in front of Doris Day House

Here is a scan of the Architectural Digest 2000 article showing a MKII parked in the driveway of the Doris Day House
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan Murray
    C56R3749
    56 T-bird (Sunset Coral)
    65 Buick Riviera

It looks like we now have two pictorial votes for Doris with a black II.

I did a registry search for Doris's husband at the time, Martin Melcher, and found nothing. The MKIIE's list of original owners shows nothing.

The earlier picture of Doris getting out of a black Mark II, shows the interior to be 01-1P11N (Trim: Black Leather Seat Biscuits , Bolsters & Welts) and as previously stated there only seems to have been three of them: 3562, 3759 and 3842. We have no early ownership records for any on them.
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 06-23-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Default Doris Day with white car

I'm also a Doris Day fan! In researching her Lincoln, I came across this forum. In addition to the black LCM2 photos that Doris is in, I came across a photograph of her with a white car. Not being an expert on LCM2, thought I could post it here for your comments. Her hairstyle and clothing appears to be from the mid to late 50's. She made a film in 1956 titled Julie, which was filmed in part in the Monterrey area, most notable scene at Pebble Beach. Hard for me to make out from the angle the car is photographed if it is one or not, but I see similar features like the tires and rear triangular side window. I'll most likely have to get permission to post the photo being a new member.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love the evolving mystery that has played out here over Day's Mark II...and appreciate all the ongoing posts.

But, unfortunately, that's not a Mark II (I'd venture a guess that it's a Cadillac, but our GM loyalists will be able to give a positive ID) so the mystery, in black and white, continues...
    Pete Hoffman
    C5691209

Looks to be a 1956 or 55 coupe deville convertible
    Dominick Toscano
    1957 MKII C56R3772
    1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider
    2006 Mustang convertible,sport pkg & mint
    1973 GMC 2500 crew cab ,retro modded,always needed paint ,my' Max'
    1993 Ducati 904SPS SS, 2nd place show winner
    1978 Tracy 550 Honda ,2nd place show winner

The car in the picture is most likely a 1954, 55, or 56 Cadillac Series 62 convertible or a 55,56 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I love the evolving mystery that has played out here over Day's Mark II...and appreciate all the ongoing posts.

But, unfortunately, that's not a Mark II (I'd venture a guess that it's a Cadillac, but our GM loyalists will be able to give a positive ID) so the mystery, in black and white, continues...
    Brian Mc Evilly
    C56E2897

Great reading.
    vin
    Vincent Cashin
    C56C2571

friend in Wichita, was told his mark was owned by Doris Day I saw the car ,it was a blue green color. I see him at car club meets, I will see if he has info. on alleged ownership!
    Larry Cero
    c5601606