Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doris Day with a Mark II, from H.A.M.B.

Default Doris Day with a Mark II, from H.A.M.B.

I did an image search and found that this picture is not on this site.

She was beautiful. Did she own a Mark II?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Boy, did I have the hots for her!

We haven't found anything on Doris Day owning a Mark II. However the code for that car is 01-1P11N (Trim: Black Leather Seat Biscuits , Bolsters & Welts) and there only seems to have been three of them.

All of three were ordered by good ole J.E. Coberly, Inc (Santa Ana Freeway wreck fame) in Los Angeles.

They were 3562, 3759 and 3842. We have no early ownership records for any on them.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Marshall For This Useful Post:

Robert McGuire (09-11-2017)

Default Doris Day with a Mark II, from H.A.M.B.

Hots. Still have.

Found this in Conceptcarz.

The price and exclusivity attracted celebrities, business leaders and politicians who chiefly bought these cars. Frank Sinatra, Spike Jones, Louie Prima, Dwight Eisenhower, Barry Goldwater, Elvis Presley and local favorite, Doris Day, were notable owners. Despite the loss of each car, Ford felt that some of the goals of the project had been successful. The image created a very positive influence for Ford's position in the competitive world of luxury autos. The best validation came as the mark II served as a stimulus for GM to develop the even pricier Eldorado Brougham. The hand assembly and array of custom choices in finish makes this the last bespoke car for any major US automaker.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

I just found this from the website of the Nostalgia Vintage Car Museum,
    9970 Cienega Road
    Hollister, California 95023
    Phone: 831-636-9143
    Phone: 831 636-0100
    Fax: 831-636-1435

Nostalgia Vintage Auto Museum was created as a tribute to our family matriarch, Mary DeRose. As a San Jose teenager during the late 1920s, Mary's first car was a brand new Graham-Paige sedan. At later family gatherings, Mary spoke proudly and nostalgically of that car. During the 1970s, her son-in-law, Tony Cedolini, located and purchased a similar Graham-Paige and restored the car to its original condition. Other family members, impressed by its superior design and engineering, became interested in purchasing one for themselves. Thus began this family's interest in and collection of Graham automobiles.

In the 1960s, Mary's brother-in-law, Al DeRose, acquired a 1925 Flint, two vintage Ford Thunderbirds and a 1956 Lincoln Continental MarkII. The Lincoln was once owned by Hollywood star Doris Day. In the following years, Mary's sons Nick and Pat also became avid collectors of vintage automobiles. Pat's individual collection included a 1932 Ford, a 1950 Olds 88, a 1924 Model T, and a modified 1940 Graham Hollywood.

I tried calling. The phone numbers above are for the winery. They gave me the museum # - 831-636-5847. I tried - no answer.

I'm still working on tracking Dear Doris down. The museum is owned by the DeRose Vineyards. The curator of the museum is Chris Guinn and the owner of the Vineyard and Museum is Pat DeRose. I've talked to a winery worker, but the people I really need to talk to are hard to catch.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Default me and Doris Day

When I collected films (16mm and 35mm) Doris Day was my favorite. I still have most of her titles on 16mm. Sadly "film" collecting has gone to the dogs as DVD and BluRay have killed it. About 10 years ago I had no trouble getting Doris to sign some photos for me. I wrote her saying that my son (Dave) and I had just screened "I'll See You In My Dreams" with Danny Thomas and we really enjoyed it. She replied with a personal letter, some signed photos and one signed... I'LL See You IN My Dreams....... she is now over 90 years old but I think she's in good health and still answers fan mail, especially if you do it through her animal rights organization. So I suggest you write her directly and she'll tell you for sure if she owned a Mark II. I remember it took her a long time to reply but she did so with a very nice personal letter. You can write her simply to "Doris Day, Carmel, CA." but your chances of a reply are greater going through the animal group. BTW if she did have a Mark II it may have been sold to her husband Marty Melcher or her production company Arvin Productions.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

Print out a copy of the picture for her to autograph.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Still trying to make contact with the Winery and its museum. But, here's a possible clue - their Continental Cabernet Wine!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH