Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which battery to use?

Conventional or the modern maintenance free like what Shelly is refering to.
    I am refering to the maintenance free (lead Calcium) and not the sealed Gel Cell or the spiral wrapped battery. They are obviously much better than the lead antimony type battery. Shelly mentions you can add water if you like but if the charging system is set spot on and if you don't live in the desert, you probably will never have to. All the vehicles I have with these I seldom if ever touch the battery cable terminal ends. The lead Calcium composition reduces the gassing and water loss. I wish they would make the regular flooded TAR TOP batteries of this design! They always need water and are always sweating out acid fumes The battery I mentioned sounds like the one Shelly has but is it a low profile or compact design? Now we know that one will work just fine. The series 62? Sean, what are the dimensions and what was it intended for?
    C56K3391
    Two-Tone 05/16
    1950 Mercury Sedan

Oops. my bill said series 62, but I was in the shop just now and it is a series 64. The dimentions are 11 3/4 x 6 5/8 x 9 inches tall, including the terminals. It is a 750 CCA battery and has worked very well for me.
    Sean Rollins

C56C2591

Thanks again, guys. I ended up going with a group 29NF lead-acid battery from NAPA. It is 12.5" x 5.5" x 9" high, so it fits in the original tray. Had to make a hold down strap to hold it against the vertical portion of the battery tray. I peeled all the fancy stickers off, and with the black caps it looks fairly authentic. Good enough for now at least, and the price was reasonable ($114).

She will be on the road soon!
    Todd Heimer
    C56C2549
    '64 Corvair Monza convertible
    '73 MG MGB-GT

Hi guys:

Long time, no post... and using this old topic:

I need to replace the battery on my car. From what I read, size 32N is the correct battery to use. Has anybody had any experience with Antique Auto Batteries?
    www.antiqueautobattery.com

Thanks!
    victor
    C56N3520

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MKII For This Useful Post:

jdsnoddy (03-29-2017)

Barry: Which battery do you now use? It's a sealed battery?
    Jay Hillsten
    C56F3099

Victor - Antique auto battery is one of my favorites! I've installed them in a few of our cars with no problems so far, it's been about 5 years at this point. More money up front but not as much contorted lifting to change leaky acid type batteries, and they look just like the original.

Gary.
    Gary Grieshaber

Quote Originally Posted by MKII View Post
    Hi guys:

Long time, no post... and using this old topic:

I need to replace the battery on my car. From what I read, size 32N is the correct battery to use. Has anybody had any experience with Antique Auto Batteries?
    www.antiqueautobattery.com

Thanks!
    victor
    I have had one for a few years now and it looks good, is a perfect fit and performs well. The only requirement is that you charge it (no more that 10 amps) for a couple of hours every 3 months. They have been considering making a case with the Continental star on it so if you talk to them ask if it is in the works yet?
    C56-91291,
    1952 Ford F-1 Pick-up,
    1962 Chevrolet Impala 427,
    1973 Harley-Davidson FL

Quote Originally Posted by RODPARTS View Post
    Barry: Which battery do you now use? It's a sealed battery?
    Yes, I had to go through two on my car and two on Al's before they discovered that we were over-charging them. The advice of the 10-amp charger is good. Trickle charge is better.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126