Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which battery to use?

Don Keller Guest

Rich,

I would bet money that if anyone asked about the possibility of running a Mark II on water, you could show us a picture of one that you've already created. If any of the newer members haven't looked at Rich's restoration tutorial that he posted about two years ago, you should take a look. He can make anything that he can dream up and there's no limit to his ideas and he always saves big bucks. He is one of many amazing people on this forum. That's the way Ford should have handeled the battery situation.

I am using a series 62 battery that I bought at a local parts supplier for 120.00 four years ago. It fits the tray fine, but the top clamping assembly is too small and you will need to be creative. Please say no to bungee cords! (That's what my father had been using). I just bought some 1/2 inch angle and made an origional style top in the size to match the battery. A little black paint, and you are about half the 300.00 limit.
    Sean Rollins

C56C2591

Please post a picture of how it looks.
    C56A1888
    2007 Phantom
    2006 Jaguar VDP
    2003 Ram Laramie Quad Cab
    1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
    1950 Chevrolet BelAir
    1933 Oldsmobile Sport Coupe

Default I surrender!

I've spent many hours restoring the engine compartment of 1494, but alas the battery leaked and messed up the clamp, tray and a bit of the fire wall, so I ain't messing with it any more. I'm going to go with a sealed 32N battery. It's worth the cost difference to me.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Don Keller View Post
    Rich,

I would bet money that if anyone asked about the possibility of running a Mark II on water, you could show us a picture of one that you've already created.
    Not quite, but I have looked into it. Actually there are many individuals who are experimenting with running a car on hydrogen produced “on demand” from water using modified forms of electrolysis. A few claim success but I have yet to see definitive prove. However unlike a typical armchair engineer I would not dismiss it by saying it is absolutely impossible.

I don't know about the group 62 battery, or what dimentions it might be, but I was told it is getting hard to find. Maybe this information is incorrect. If you are not concerned about appearance, I was told the group 50 might be a good sub to get you by. It is found in late model Ford econoline vans with the Diesel option. There are two batteries for this application with this Diesel option. One is the starting battery and the other one is the auxillary battery. It's dimentions( Aux. Battery) are:
    13.5" long X 5" wide X 10" to the top of the post. It is a group 50 series and is about 750 CCA. for about $125-$150
    Its a bit smaller (1/2 inch taller might be a problem??) but if you can make it work, it is also a low maintenance battery( lead calcium design) and won't gas or emit nearly as many corrosive fumes like the conventional lead antimony types. Sorry I forgot to ask about the arrangement of the posts so longer cables might be required.

The 32N:
    14" long X 5 1/2" wide X 9" to the top of the post.

A few battery shops are able to get the 32N on a special order for the same price give or take as the group 50 if you don't want an authentic "Tar Top" but these are the regular flooded lead antimony type and you will always have the mess and corrosion.
    I did not want the sealed battery and was not sold on it because some people I know that used them had very poor luck and like Barry did not realize that you could not fast charge them. After finding this out from Barry and that he has had one for five years with no trouble, this will be my next battery when I refinish my engine compartment. For now until this happens what ever fits will be the option to get by. There might be some other "close to" sizes out there but you will have to visit your local battery shop or do a lot of seaching on the web.
    C56K3391
    Two-Tone 05/16
    1950 Mercury Sedan

I am using Interstate's C50-XHD which is close fitting (13.25x5.5x8.75) maintenance free, and you can add water if necessary.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henschel View Post
    I don't know about the group 62 battery, or what dimentions it might be, but I was told it is getting hard to find. Maybe this information is incorrect. If you are not concerned about appearance, I was told the group 50 might be a good sub to get you by. It is found in late model Ford econoline vans with the Diesel option. There are two batteries for this application with this Diesel option. One is the starting battery and the other one is the auxillary battery. It's dimentions( Aux. Battery) are:
    13.5" long X 5" wide X 10" to the top of the post. It is a group 50 series and is about 750 CCA. for about $125-$150
    Its a bit smaller (1/2 inch taller might be a problem??) but if you can make it work, it is also a low maintenance battery( lead calcium design) and won't gas or emit nearly as many corrosive fumes like the conventional lead antimony types. Sorry I forgot to ask about the arrangement of the posts so longer cables might be required.
    This is what I have in mine. Its a Motorcraft battery and looks quite at home. Clearance is not a problem, but I do not have a hood liner yet.
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

Wow - thanks all for the helpful tips! I will ponder and see which of the suggested batteries I can find. It would be nice to get away from the mess of lead-acid...

Todd
    Todd Heimer
    C56C2549
    '64 Corvair Monza convertible
    '73 MG MGB-GT

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Harris View Post
    I am using Interstate's C50-XHD which is close fitting (13.25x5.5x8.75) maintenance free, and you can add water if necessary.
    Maintenance-free doesn't mean acid-free. Due to the location the batteries tend to bubble over unless you use a low level of acid. They also emit corrosive gasses that have literally eaten the hood liner and the sheet-metal from the underside of the hood.

I have pictures around here, somewhere, of chalky debris inside my car from battery acid seeping in through the sheet metal seams or holes in the firewall.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126