Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark IIs In Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Marshall View Post
    So, of these four sent to Cuba, one came back home, one is known (and is now orange) and two are not accounted for. Unless there were more imported, these cars would be 3359 and 3793. Since they were both black originally, there's no way to know which is which.
    I went on a search and that orange looks more red.

David Farley
    C56N3536

That car has been taken care of. If it's the same car it's owned by an Airline pilot. I don't know how much Cuban airline pilots make, but I could easily imagine a pilot owning this.

The writer of the article reporting the "orange" Mark II didn't actually see it. He was relating what he had been told while in Cuba. I'm going to assume that's the car until better information heads its ugly rear.

Great searching, keep up the good work.
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

Holy Crap! This is the same black one I posted on the previous page. The license plates... It is missing the trim on the front of the hood now and the Continental letters are moved down into that location. Sad...
    David Farley
    C56N3536

I bet the A/C doesn't work!
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

I think the Cubans are great at keeping these old cars running with almost nothing to repair them with. I read two stories about how this particular group of Cubans were trying to cross the ocean with old cars. The first time, they converted a 50's chevy truck to float using barrels as pontoons and drove this thing like 100 miles across the ocean and made it within 10 miles of the Florida coast before being stopped by the coast guard. They sunk the poor guy's truck and deported them. The second try they completely sealed up a 59 or 60 Buick Lesabre and drove it across getting caught again. They tried to sink the Buick but couldn't.

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/...-chevrolet.htm

If the trade embargo ever gets lifted, I have a feeling that Cuba will be the place to go to get old project cars. It seems that the numbers are dwindling lower every year that goes by. In Arizona during the 90's you would trip over old cars and pick them up for close to nothing. Now, it seems like I am having to venture further away from home to find new cars to build.
    Last edited by Milsteads Garage; 01-28-2012 at 03:41 AM.
    Morgan Milstead

Default Mark IIs In Cuba

Did you see this article on Hagerty's website?

http://www.hagerty.com/classic-car-articles-resources/Features/News/All-Articles/2011/12/20/The-cars-of-Cuba
    Ben Kline
    Bloomingdale, NY
    1956 Continental Mark II C56G3133
    1961 MG Midget
    1987 Corvette Convertible
    1992 BMW K75S

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Marshall View Post
    I bet the A/C doesn't work!
    One can only imagine whats under the hood for an engine I was watching a documentary about these cars in Cuba. They were showing a couple of guys shoehorning a large 4 cylinder forklift engine and transmission into a late fifties Chrysler Imperial to keep it running due to the lack of engine parts. They showed another guy who made his own body panels from scratch carefully beating and shaping them all by hand with basic hand tools. He made a new floor for the trunk of his car and it looked perfect.
    C56K3391
    Two-Tone 05/16
    1950 Mercury Sedan

I've seen many cars fused together like a VW with a Mercedes front clip, cars turned into boats and many cars turned into station wagons there. Hell, one day you may actually see the first Mark II station wagon in Cuba. stay tuned...
    David Farley
    C56N3536

I just got back from a week in Cuba. Unfortunately, no time to try to locate either of the Mark IIs. However, the number of 1940s and 1950s American cars rumbling around Havana seems unchanged from my first trip a decade ago. Increasingly the most desirable ones--especially late 50s convertibles in pastel hues--seem to be part of a rental fleet of "fantasy" cars ferrying tourists around town. Everywhere you look, there's an incredible number of cars still sporting all their original chrome/stainless trim pieces--a fortune in parts for Americans if the embargo ends. However, 4-door sedans out number the 2-doors and convertibles by a large margin, not sure how many whole cars would be of interest to American collectors.
    Pete Hoffman
    C5691209

If you import a car from cuba, you would have to be very mechanically artistic in all likelyhood. Outboard motors hooked up to the transmission from a bus in a '50 pontiac.... But the sheetmetal and trim, wow....
    Sean Rollins

C56C2591