Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum tutorial-Process of elimination

A question about the vacuum reservoir in the power brake system ...

The vacuum reservoir of my 56 Continental Mk II is rusted and presumably non-functional. I ordered a "replacement" part from Holley, but it's not an exact fit. Could it be modified and installed?
    What does this part actually do? Can I eliminate it from the system and get along without one?

Mike Mottler
    LCOC member
    Mike Mottler
    C5691300

The original Vacuum Reservoir is a welded off section of the frame in front of the passenger footwell. If you have a separate vacuum can (sometimes they are round like a ball about 8" in diameter or like a large metal coffee can) than your frame one is most likely toast too. Just install a new one where the old one was.

The reservoir allows the brakes to function with power for a few pumps even if the engine stalls. Trust me you need one!
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

Maybe, I'm wrong but I have always thought the threaded fuel pumps were Mark II pumps (because the Mark II used steel lines with threaded connections) and that the pumps with the push on connections were Lincolns (because Lincoln used rubber lines, which don't have threaded connections)!
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

It was my understanding that with the switch to the WCF B carburetor and single diaphragm, vacuum advance distributor the fuel pump switched as well to the push on version the same as Lincoln.
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

Thank you, Joseph. The '57 engine in my '56 has push in fittings. That explains it. That, and the brown coil wire are the only thing he missed when my car was restored.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126