Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2339 - 56 mark 2

I agree about the person that owned it increasing the value. I put zero value being added in this case. It was Peggy Lee's car it's entire life. The elderly man that owns it now is really sick and needs the money. Still think 27 is too high. I recently saw one for sale that Roy Clark owned and it's still for sale. I think he is asking 96. I am a huge Roy Clark fan so that car would get a little boost from me. But, may not get a second look from a Metallica fan. Not a big fan of yellow on this 56. I would have left it white. I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Affirmative. White was the original color; but if you have to ask this question, that means the trunk, engine bay and door jambs and tire rims were painted the new color.
    I'm with Barry on this one, a well done color change doesn't necessarily reduce the value unless it was a DSO by very famous person (ie Elizabeth Taylor's DSO Blue to match her eyes.)
    Hopefully no one would buy Elizabeth Taylor's car and change the color; as the color is an important part of the history of the car.

I vaguely remember seeing 2339 on CL; I wasn't particularly crazy about the yellow color.

As to the Roy Clark car, offer them $60,000 and see what they say. I feel as if they don't have the slightest idea the true market value of that car. I personally feel it is significantly less than $96,000. It's a car which was restored scores ago.

There's a very fine deep blue F/S at BJ Houston, 3256.
    That's my favorite. No reserve.

And a fine black car with white interior at Mecum Chattanooga lot#18, 2265. No reserve. Sold sold sold $11,000.

As always, personally inspect any car before purchase.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 10-15-2022 at 05:55 AM.
    John Snoddy

I know you said it didn't have the factory air John, but he did say it had front and rear air. Possible that it was added later?
    Max Harris
    C56C2339

Affirmative aftermarket AC. Factory AC had the vents in the headliner. We know by the tire size 8.00 that 2339 wasn't a factory AC car.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 10-06-2022 at 03:11 PM.
    John Snoddy

So I found out the car needs the trans rebuilt and the paint job is 30 years old and not the original color. It does have aftermarket air. It's here locally but I can't get to 27 grand asking price. Anyone have a opinion on what it's worth?
    Max Harris
    C56C2339

So, if it runs, drives, brakes and steers, the frame is solid and minimal Bondo, low twenties. Anything more than surface rust, just walk away.

It was advertised on CL since June 2022.
    I'd offer him 19 and wait for his response.

It seems to me that you're not that far apart.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 10-07-2022 at 07:57 AM.
    John Snoddy

The trans needs rebuilding and the A/C doesn't work. I'm not even comfortable at 19. I think I will just walk away and let someone else deal with the never ending problems on this car. I have his number if you know anyone wanting to make contact with him. Thanks for all the info John.
    Max Harris
    C56C2339

You're welcome. I understand your concern. You could always just offer wherever you feel most comfortable.

It also has wire wheels; the original wheel covers could cost $3000 or more.

I will say that it is common issue in a 65+ year old vehicle for the AC to be inoperable. AC is dependent on hoses and seals which age and fail over time. Any vehicle of this era, at any price point, may have a faulty AC. And at this particular price point, it is almost a certainty.

You will be money ahead by buying the very best car you can afford. Buy a complete, or nearly complete car, minimal surface rust and solid driver. Good luck.

Hit us back if you have any more questions.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 10-07-2022 at 10:08 AM.
    John Snoddy

Default my opinion.......

I will throw in this...a car that runs , drives good, nice paint and body and has all body and engine parts (wheels hjub caps) and most functions operable (not the radio, antenna or A/C) is well worth a range of $35K to 45 K. depending on the variables. EVERYTHING working and VERY NICE is at least a $60 K car. Unless your taking advantage of a widow, forget hooking up with a nice running and looking complete car anywhere in the 20s or 30s. Less then $20k gets you a car needing work...lots of it.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Harris View Post
    I will throw in this...a car that runs , drives good, nice paint and body and has all body and engine parts (wheels hjub caps) and most functions operable (not the radio, antenna or A/C) is well worth a range of $35K to 45 K. depending on the variables. EVERYTHING working and VERY NICE is at least a $60 K car. Unless your taking advantage of a widow, forget hooking up with a nice running and looking complete car anywhere in the 20s or 30s. Less then $20k gets you a car needing work...lots of it.
    Best advice of the day. There is no such thing as a cheap Mark II. The least expensive turn out the be the ones the previous owner put big money into.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126