Thread: Cigar Lighter socket

Default Cigar Lighter socket

Hi,
    So continuing with all the new wiring under the dash I got up up the lighter and the socket disintergrated (rusted and rotted out). Any one have a part number of something compatible that will recieve the stock lighter.

Thanks
    John Mush
    C56A1836

I believe any Ford cigarette lighter socket from the period will work. I don't believe the socket cares what voltage the car is.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Just make sure you order the correct size. The cigar lighter is larger than the cigarette lighters in the back seat.
    John Snoddy

Thanks all...found one on ebay...same part number out of the master part catalog...56 ThunderBird. $39 compared to elseware at $85. Thanks again.
    John Mush
    C56A1836

All cigarette lighter sockets are the same size. Any one from NAPA should work.

Maybe there are some foreign units that are different but I have never seen a socket that any lighter I have doesn't't fit.

I have a drawer full of sockets and lighters and they all are the same. the one from my 1932 Auburn is the same size as the ones in my mark II. The front sockets are the same as the rear. the handles on the lighters are a little different than the one in the dash but the lighters are all the same size.
    Jack Bowser
    C56B2198
    Past Ownership 1991, 3206, and 1763
    2006 Ford GT
    2006 Cadillac XLR-V
    427 Cobra
    2012 Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster
    1924 Dodge Brothers Rat Rod
    Lots of Bowser gas Pumps

Sorry we didn't tell you to go to NAPA before you spent that much. I think the Thunderbirds had a thermal breaker on the back of the lighter socket so you got a safety device in addition to your socket.

Since no one smokes any more ( at least not mark II folks) you don't need to run a heavy wire to your socket. At this point you can decide if you want the socket hot all the time or switched with the IGN switch.

Some folks use the socket to plug in a trickle charger in which case you want it hot all the time.

My Ford GT came with a trickle charger that has a lighter socket plug on it so that is how I keep it charged up.
    Jack Bowser
    C56B2198
    Past Ownership 1991, 3206, and 1763
    2006 Ford GT
    2006 Cadillac XLR-V
    427 Cobra
    2012 Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster
    1924 Dodge Brothers Rat Rod
    Lots of Bowser gas Pumps

Run a wire appropriate for the consumption of the lighter as you don't know what the next owner won't know.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

I picked up one of those napa cigarette lighter sockets at a local store, attached the wire to the back, screwed it to the dash and the fuse blew. Removed it from the dash, replaced the fuse, before I put it back in the dash, I put a voltage light on the socket and the light lit up. I'm assuming it shorts as soon at it hits the metal lower dash. Is there some sort of insulator I'm missing? Do i need that thermal breaker on the back of the socket?
    John Mush
    C56A1836

Sounds like a defective socket.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126